Kirstie's Reviews > Beyond Magenta: Transgender Teens Speak Out

Beyond Magenta by Susan Kuklin

bookshelves: biography, quiltbag-characters

Beyond Magenta is a compilation of several young peoples' stories about being transgender, intersex, and nonbinary. Each individual's section feels like they were truly the one telling the story and that the author was merely transcribing their words and compiling the result. The stories ranged from the lives of people who had great support and minimal struggle to those who had a hard slog of it.

It is only six peoples' stories, and most of them still young. You're only getting approx 45 minutes of their story - not enough time for everything, but a nice start - some of them I really wish I could have heard more from, like an entire book, a la Being Jazz.

A few parts of some stories confused me though, such as one young man who lets his girlfriend misgender him. I mean, if he's comfortable enough to deal with that and/or loves her enough sure, but the reason I'm reading so many trasngender biographies is because I want to a/ be a better friend to my trans friends and b/ write better trans characters, and this stands out as something very unusual. Then again, every person is their own person, and just because you identify as a member of a certain group doesn't mean you must be cast from precisely the same mould as everyone in that group.

I thought this was a good read especially for the juxtaposition of people who had differing oppositions and experiences to one another.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond Magenta.

March 17, 2018 – Shelved