Ana's Reviews > If This Is Paradise, I Want My Money Back

If This Is Paradise, I Want My Money Back by Claudia Carroll

it was ok
bookshelves: chick-lit-womens-fiction, read-in-2014

*Copy provided by publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

Whooooaaa! I finally read it. I'm ashamed to admit it's been more than a year since I've downloaded it from NetGalley. I did try reading it once soon after downloading it, but it didn't work for me. I was hoping if I postpone reading and get into a certain mood I'd enjoy this book more. So I gave it another chance. This time I did manage to finish it, however as you can see from the rating, I found it just ok.

You see, I had few issues with it, more than few actually. The writing was ok, though frankly, I wasn't impressed. The premise was promising, and I though I'll enjoy this book as much as I enjoyed Heaven Can Wait by Cally Taylor, since it basically the same stuff, going to heaven and learning a lesson. BUT, I was disappointed.

The writing felt a bit strange and very hard for me to understand, not because of the Irish slang (I've read quite a few books by Irish authors so am pretty familiar with some words/phrases they use). The sentences were too long, and as a rule, that's always something which makes reading the book harder for me.

The characters, oh my god - don't let me start with that! Not only I couldn't relate to Charlotte, the MC, she was too annoying from the start till the very end. Now it happens rarely that I dislike a character so much. Of course, I've read many books with characters I didn't like at the beginning, but somehow by the end of the book they would kind of grow on me. They would leave a certain impression, impact, make me care for them or feel them. With this book - it was NADA! NOTHING!

No matter how hard I tried I COULD NOT understand or like Charlotte. That's a major problem with me, which of course reflected my enjoyment of this book.

I will check out Claudia Carroll's other books, but I just can't recommend this one.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If This Is Paradise, I Want My Money Back.

November 8, 2011 – Shelved