Christine's Reviews > The Doula Book: How A Trained Labor Companion Can Help You Have A Shorter, Easier, And Healthier Birth

The Doula Book by John H. Kennell

I borrowed this book from a local midwifery practice to see what it was all about (I am a birth doula). It was a really fast and easy read, and it went back and forth between being helpful for moms and partners, and being helpful for the doula. So I'm not entirely sure WHO this book was written for. But either way, I thought it was great.

For moms: Provides reassurance through research and studies that working with a doula is worth the investment, that medical research has proven that doulas shorten labor, decrease interventions, and increase overall birth satisfaction.

For dads: I hear a lot of fathers voice their hesitancy towards hiring a doula for fear they will be overshadowed, lose their role, or have to share this experience. But the chapter that talks about how dads and doulas work together was really well written! I like that it talks about various ways that fathers support their wives in labor (and how they're all normal) and how the doula's role is not the same as the dads role, so there isn't a way for the doula to "take over" or overshadow him. It is very well written, and I think it would be a great resource for partners who aren't quite sure they want a doula.

For doulas: Towards the end of the book it starts to feel like an introduction guide to doulas, like a book you would be assigned to read in a "doula 101" college class. So for new doulas, or for women who are considering becoming a doula, this is probably a great book to read to get a better idea of what it all means. I know I would have absolutely LOVED it at the start of my doula career.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Doula Book.

March 16, 2018 – Started Reading