Mel Hawk's Reviews > Shadow of the Fox

Shadow of the Fox by Julie Kagawa

bookshelves: favorites
Read 2 times. Last read May 11, 2018 to May 15, 2018.

GUYS MY FAVORITE BOOK IS OUT TODAY!!!!!!

Go out and buy this fantastic book and then come fangirl with me about it!!

ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I have never read any of Julie Kagawa’s other books, but I honestly adore Shadow of the Fox. Easily one of my favorite books I’ve read in 2018. This story is incredibly well-written, with amazing characters that stick with you and rich in a culture I’m not very familiar with. Yumeko is one of a kind. I can’t wait for October 2, 2018 when I can add this book to my ever growing collection.

Shadow of the Fox is an ownvoices Japanese mythology story about a half-kitsune named Yumeko, who grew up sheltered away in a temple. Kitsune are tricksters by nature and so Yumeko is taught at a very young age that her fox nature should be suppressed as much as possible. When a terribly army of demons comes to her home, Yumeko is forced to flee the only family she’s known and go on a journey with the mysterious samurai Kage Tatsumi of the Shadow Clan.

Yumeko was just such a great character. She was full of adventure the entire time and was always willing to help others out. She definitely grew as a character and it was so fun to watch her grow. Yumeko had tremendous loss and she was stuck on an adventure with someone she didn’t know. Every person Yumeko and Tatsumi met along their journey ended up becoming a part of their group. You couldn’t help but love Yumeko’s innocent nature. She is very naïve at the beginning of her adventure with Tatsumi, but it was magical to read her thoughts along the trip.

Yumeko and Tatsumi’s relationship was one of my favorite parts. One of my favorite tropes will forever be the dynamic of the one brooding individual matched with the optimistic, fun-loving individual. I’m the biggest fan of this trope and Yumeko and Tatsumi fit that to the T. What makes it even more enjoyable is reading from both of their perspectives. You actually see Tatsumi’s hard shell crumble around Yumeko because she is just so much fun to be around.

What really makes Shadow of the Fox and super enjoyable book is that every character who is introduced is important. Small things you don’t think are a big deal, become a huge part of the story later on. It’s one of those reads where you have to be paying attention because you never know what is actually foreshadowing something else.

I really loved this book and hope you enjoy it too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow of the Fox.

Quotes Mel Liked

Julie Kagawa
“It is very hard to be human, little fox. Even the humans themselves don’t do a great job of it.”
Julie Kagawa, Shadow of the Fox

March 16, 2018 – Shelved
May 11, 2018 – Started Reading
May 11, 2018 –
14.0% "Yeah I can’t already tell this ending will kill me"
May 12, 2018 –
May 13, 2018 –
May 15, 2018 –
79.0% "I just wanna finish but I had to go to work. blah"
May 15, 2018 –
May 15, 2018 – Finished Reading
May 14, 2019 – Started Reading (ebook Edition)
May 14, 2019 – Shelved (ebook Edition)
May 14, 2019 –
page 139
33.99% (ebook Edition)
June 4, 2019 – Finished Reading (ebook Edition)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Melanie My book twin for life, Mel. Amazing review, sweetheart! 💛✨ xx

message 2: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Hawk Melanie wrote: "My book twin for life, Mel. Amazing review, sweetheart! 💛✨ xx"
Book twin, you will always inspire me to a better blogger! Thank you so much ☺️

message 3: by mo (new) - added it

mo Great review, Mel! 💕 I can't wait to read this.