All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Winging It

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed-by-abigail
Read in December, 2011

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

Deborah Cooke knows how to write a lighting fast story that flies along from beginning to end without ever once stopping to land. Even when the plot overshadowed the characters towards the end, the pacing in WINGING IT kept everything moving quickly enough to keep me turning pages to see what happened next.

One thing I absolutely loved about the beginning of WINGING IT was the seamless recap and character refresher that was woven into the first chapter. New readers to the series will be able to jump right in to book two and fans from the first book will be immediately caught right back up into the excitement from FLYING BLIND. When there are this many characters, a mythology that is constantly expanding as Zoe learns more about her Wyvern abilities, and relationships that evolve from one book to the next, the reminder was invaluable.

I had a few issues with Zoe’s immaturity in FLYING BLIND, but the Zoe in WINGING IT is stronger, smarter, and more courageous. She’s still a very realistic sixteen year old so her maturity is appropriately balanced with impetuousness, recklessness, and some questionable romantic decisions. But Zoe is an extremely likeable protagonist and even when I wanted shake her, I was constantly rooting for her.

Whether you found this spin-off series from Cooke’s adult paranormal romance Dragonfire series or this is your first introduction to this dragon shifter world, WINGING IT is a fast, fun read that will be sure to leave you waiting for the final book in the Dragon Diaries trilogy entitled BLAZING THE TRAIL, when it hits shelves on June 5th 2012

Sexual Content:
Kissing

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winging It.