Lucy's Reviews > Six of Crows

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, favourites-2018

This book is crazy hyped but I have to say I think all of the hype is well deserved. Fantasy is really not my genre so despite all the hype I was super nervous going into this one. Also i've never read any of the other books set in the Grisha series and I know that some people have said that they need to be read before this, but I don't agree with that. I never felt like I was missing anything by having not read them.

The big problems I usually have with fantasy is that I get confused and I get bored. Lots of writing about world-building, and magic systems etc just tends to go straight over my head but I felt like this book was great as I never felt overwhelmed with information. What really makes this book work though is the characters. Bardugo has done a fantastic job in writing six unique, morally grey but still likeable characters. I genuinely fell in love with the whole group.

Kaz is the leader of this group of misfits. He is cunning and smart. He's an incredibly intriguing character. His actions, his backstory, and just everything about him was so well done. Inej and Nina were badass females. Although they both are love interests for other characters, they are never reduced to simply being just that. I adored Inej, I legit think she may be one of the greatest characters i've ever read. Matthias is a hard character to talk about. The depth and complexity of his character as just phenomenal. The last two characters, Jesper and Wylan, were my absolute favourites. Their bickering/flirting just provided the perfect comedic relief to this intense plot. Jesper is sweet and although he's made some bad decisions you can't help but love him, he just wants to help out the gang and impress Kaz. Now Wylan has probably the best character growth i've ever read. He starts out coming across as a timid young kid who's lived a sheltered life but by the end he's there at the heart of the dregs ready to stand up to anyone who causes any of them shit.

I never would have expected to love this book in the way I did. This is so different to anything i've read before, in the best possible way. I honestly haven't stopped thinking about this since I read it and now i've gotta go spend money I don't have cause I need Crooked Kingdom like now.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Six of Crows.

March 15, 2018 – Started Reading
March 15, 2018 – Shelved
March 15, 2018 –
page 0
0.0% "Going totally out of my comfort zone with this one"
March 20, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy