Deborah O'Carroll's Reviews > Mythical Doorways

Mythical Doorways by H.L. Burke

19951545
I LOVED this collection! A couple of the stories weren’t my favorite, but you always get that in anthologies; on the whole I enjoyed it more than many. A few of these tales are going on my top-favorite list. ;)

Everwild - J. M. Hackman (5 stars) — This one was awesome! A boy about to grow out of the foster system is given a choice between two worlds... Fascinating and vivid, and I liked how it ended. Lovely portal fantasy with a few twists. It was great. ^_^ Makes me want to try more by this author—and I fortunately have a novel (Spark) which can help me do just that. ;)

Well of Fate - Savannah Jezowski (5 stars) — Tosk the squirrel was so adorable! What a super-cute—and funny—little tale. Having a squirrel main character who’s a little bit nervous but determined to be a hero, in a mythology setting, was so much fun! And there was an awesome twist near the end! ;) I’m looking forward to checking out the author’s When Ravens Fall novella...

Jericho and the Magician’s Daughter - H. L. Burke (5 stars) — AWK. Featuring Jericho and Rill a few years before the first Spellsmith and Carver book. They’re adorable! And they didn’t know they were in love... quite... yet... Super cute and exciting. It was also neat seeing a little more of Hedward Spellsmith. And of course there was Jaspyr the mechanical fox! It’s a great story and I loved this look at a sort of mini-prequel about Jericho and Rill. ^_^

Dragon’s Oath - Katy Huth Jones (3 stars) — This one was well-written and absorbing but for me personally it wasn’t a favorite since it was a bit sad... But I suspect I’d like it more if I’d read the series that it’s attached to, since I think this might be backstory for some character? Anyway, it was mostly enjoyable and I liked the dragon. :)

The Hallway of Three Doors - D. G. Driver (3 stars) — I’m not sure what my problem was with this one, but it wasn’t a favorite either. I think it confused me some and I wasn’t always sure what was going on; it was also a little more horror-like in a couple parts than I’d like? But some of it was fascinating, and it was definitely unique. :)

Door Number Four - Bokerah Brumley (4 stars) — Quite an interesting story, which almost had a touch of sci-fi feel (just me?), about a boy at a magical academy studying to take care of fantastical creatures, facing his final test... I liked his gruff teacher and all the bright originality. It made me think a little of Ender’s Game (just the academy/test thing, I think?) and overall I liked it. :)

Threshold - Laurie Lucking (5 stars) — AWK. THIS STORY. <3 *hugs it* I don’t want to give anything away about it, but it had a couple of twists on the usual portal fantasy thing, and I was SO WORRIED about how things would turn out, but I absolutely LOVED IT. Shawn was my favorite. He’s the best. :D I got kind of a Peter Pan sort of feel with this one and I loved that. ^_^

Idiot’s Graveyard - Arthur Daigle (5 stars) — One word (name?): Jayden. Jayden is one of my new favorite characters and I’m not even sure WHY, but he’s quite unpigeonholeable and fantastic and giving me Howl/Doctor Strange sorts of vibes. I could easily read a whole novel (or series) about Dana Illwind and Sorcerer Lord Jayden (they remind me a little of things like Skulduggery Pleasant or Jackaby). I learned there was another short story featuring them (in Hall of Heroes, another Fellowship of Fantasy anthology) and instantly read/devoured/loved it. The world is kind of spooky, and yet a little elegant. And it’s so FUNNY. Like... I just love the style. I kept wanting to quote it. All the snark and polite cutting dialog! Anyway, it was a glorious short story and I loved it muchly. <3 Just excuse me while I wish for more tales of Jayden and co. and am tempted to re-read both the ones I have...

Cosmic Cravings - AJ Bakke (4.5 stars) — This was so much fun! XD A little white mouse mage named Bree and her quest for chocolate, a fairy and the crow-sized dragon he rides, and a little girl in modern times. What do they have in common? I liked how the different threads came together, though some of the outcomes were a little rough for me. Enjoyable and funny! :)

Dragon Ward - Jenelle Leanne Schmidt (5 stars) — How fascinating! I won’t spoil anything, but as a fan of this author’s Minstrel’s Call series, I loved how this had two or three different backstory references, when I only expected one! LOVED LOVED LOVED. It was delicious and unexpected. Anyone who hasn’t read the series will enjoy it too. The story of a girl and a dragon, and a strange experience they have... and meeting a certain character, who I love! :D An absolutely delightful tale. ^_^

What Lies Ahead - Lauren Lynch (4 stars) — Wow, that was unique. Roman-times (not my thing, but interesting) historical fantasy with a smidge of time-travel. Eek! :D I quite liked the hero of the story and it made me curious to learn more about him and the Time Drifters series it said this story is related to. :)

Overall, a delightful fantasy short story collection with a theme of mythical doorways. Idiot’s Graveyard, Threshold, and Dragon Ward (at least) are going down as some of my top-favorite little tales. :) Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mythical Doorways.

March 15, 2018 – Shelved
March 15, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
March 22, 2018 – Shelved as: acquire
March 27, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read-have
March 27, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read-ebook-have
April 1, 2018 – Started Reading
April 1, 2018 –
7.0% "Fellowship of Fantasy's book of the month for April. I'm so excited for this one! Enjoyed the first story so far. :)"
April 6, 2018 –