Tara ☽'s Reviews > Defy Me

Defy Me by Tahereh Mafi

4 Stars

Hello, my name is Tara, and I'm starting a support group for Shatter Me stans.

Honestly, after the mess that was Restore Me, it's probably an understatement to say I was nervous for this book. I was terrified that the story and characters that are so beloved to me would be damaged beyond repair, until they were so unrecognisable from what I used to hold so dear that my memory of this series would be forever tainted.

Now that I've read it, I'm going on the record to say I should have trusted dear Ms Mafi. She knows her characters better than any of us do, and she indeed knows what she's doing. I still stand by the fact that Restore Me was rather a mess, but now I understand that the events of that book were necessary to get to where we are now. I think that, just like with the original trilogy, the books of this second arc cannot be examined in isolation. The first trilogy was one overarching story split into three books, and the same can be said for the second one. It's probably easier to think of it as one story rather than three separate books, because that's really what it is. It's one story chopped into three, for good or for ill.

My biggest fear with this book was how things would go down with Warner and Juliette - or should I say Ella. (Not gonna lie, I'm probably always going to think of her as Juliette, because I spent 6 years thinking of her that way and it's too late to change now lol.) I'm happy to say that my OTP is back on top form in this book, especially in light of the little blip in the last book. In fact, they almost act as if the fight in Restore Me never happened, which is good because I like to think of it that way too. There are quite a few enormous revelations in this book regarding Warner and Juliette/Ella and I'm going to be honest and say I don't think everyone's going to like them. I personally loved the developments we got here, just because I'm a massive sucker for the 'tragic/star-crossed lovers/soul mates' storyline and this book provided some EXCELLENCE on that front.

Also an amazing scene involving a shower that, let's just say, made ME need a shower after I'd read it. A very cold one. *wink*

Honestly, the title of this book should probably be changed to Plot Twist: The Novel. There are so many revelations that completely alter your entire perception of this story, including the events of the original trilogy. Again, I do think that this is something that not everybody will like, but I personally loved it because, in my opinion, everything made more sense. It answered many of the questions I was left with after the end of Ignite Me, and erased that strangely 'convenient' feeling of the plot of the first three books. The world of this series feels so much larger now, so much more expansive and interesting. The stakes are so much higher now. The events of the original trilogy feel like child's play compared to the enormity of what our characters are facing now.

I will say that much of this book reminded me of the oft-dreaded 'middle trilogy book'. It was very much a tale of characters getting from Point A to Point B, setting all the pieces in place for the grand finale. I didn't mind as much because the way it went about was so interesting, and I was so invested in all the revelations and character moments. Again, this is another example of the fact that this second trilogy can only be appreciated in full once all the books are out, and it can be read as one larger story. I don't see that as a drawback, just something that readers might want to be conscious of.

My favourite POV was definitely Warner's. I adore being inside that boy's head. He is so intelligent and his backstory just constantly breaks my heart. There were so many moments in this book where I was so, so proud of him. He's come so far since the lonely, broken boy he once was and I just wanted to constantly tell him 'Darling you're doing so well'. (view spoiler)

The other characters were wonderful too (except the side characters remain, sadly, slightly underdeveloped), but Warner is and will always be the standout for me. He was the reason I kept reading back in the original trilogy when I was constantly frustrated by Juliette and Adam. Kenji was another reason that kept me reading, but Warner was always my favourite. Always, always. He's basically become the archetype for 'villain who was secretly the hero all along' in YA, and I'm so happy for that. He was the original. He is the one to which we compare all others. And nobody will ever be able to measure up.

I still have many questions, and I do think there were some slightly strange decisions made. For example, many important conversations take place off-page, and then we have to hear about them second-hand, which I thought was a bit odd. And it felt very much like the middle of a larger story arc, rather than a story in of itself, but I've already talked about that.

Now all I have to do is twiddle my thumbs and await the grand finale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defy Me.

March 15, 2018 – Shelved
March 15, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
May 13, 2019 – Started Reading
May 13, 2019 –
41.0% "If I could have any superpower it would be the ability to reach into books and give characters a hug, because I totally want to give one to Warner right now"
May 14, 2019 – Shelved as: action
May 14, 2019 – Shelved as: sci-fi
May 14, 2019 – Shelved as: ultimate-otps
May 14, 2019 – Shelved as: superpowers
May 14, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Mary S. R. Do ppl not mark their spoilers??

Tara ☽ Mary wrote: "Do ppl not mark their spoilers??"

I keep seeing updates from people posting blatant spoilers, and I can't avoid it bc I just accidentally see the spoiler as I'm scrolling along my feed :( I'm pretty sure I've been spoiled for the biggest reveal/plot twist of the whole book

Mary S. R. That's why I don't write spoilers in updates, it's so annoying that the spoiler tag doesn't work.

message 4: by Tara ☽ (last edited Apr 13, 2019 04:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tara ☽ Mary wrote: "That's why I don't write spoilers in updates, it's so annoying that the spoiler tag doesn't work.
What have you been told? I'm close to the end, I can tell if it was the major twist or not"

(view spoiler)

message 5: by Mary (last edited Apr 13, 2019 04:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary S. R. Not a major spoiler we learned that at the end of Restore Me

Tara ☽ Mary wrote: "Not a major spoiler we learned that at the end of Restore Me"

Oh haha I must have forgotten that lol. Thanks love. So there's more that I haven't been spoiled for?

message 7: by Mary (last edited Apr 13, 2019 04:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary S. R. Don't worry this book is mainly about the whys and hows of all the previous books. Finally things make sense. That whole vagueness and "convenient" theme of the main 3 books disappear and the world makes actual sense finally!! People also make so much more sense! As someone who's obsessed with politics and psychology I believe this is the most accurate of the series
So yeah there's SO MUCH you don't know. Dive in with no worries! Just be warned of unsettling human experiments that are just crazy and I love them!

Tara ☽ Mary wrote: "Don't worry this book is mainly about the whys and hows of all the previous books. Finally things make sense. That whole vagueness and "convenient" theme of the main 3 books disappear and the world..."

Ahh that's a relief! I'm so excited to read it lol

Mary S. R. I soooo agree about things making more sense! I just love it when I find people who had the same reaction ;)

Tara ☽ Mary wrote: "I soooo agree about things making more sense! I just love it when I find people who had the same reaction ;)"

YES!! It feels like you and I are always having similar reactions to the books we both read lmao

message 11: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars