Felicia's Reviews > Return to Grace Street

Return to Grace Street by Ella Dominguez

This duology really opened my eyes to some things and I commend the author for making that happen. And I am still, twelve hours after I finished this book, not sure how I felt about it. It was enjoyable and really so fucked up that I didn't want to continue at the same time. So I also commend the author for making me feel that way at the exact same time. However, I will admit that even though I feel like this book was totally fucked, I could not put it down. I just NEEDED to know if Victor and Elsa ended up with a HEA. And it didn't matter the content I was reading, I was so invested in them that I could not stop reading.

I must say that Elsa was a totally infuriating character to read about. I cannot believe she took the things that she took in this book or in the first book either. All in the name of wanting to help Victor. She was a strong woman and that is exactly what Victor needed. But there is a thin line between strong and stupid. And she was boarding on stupid for such a long time. A few times she slipped over to that side of the line. And I know this was a book and it was all in the name of the end game. But still, it was so aggravating.

And Victor, he did get much much better in this book. He didn't hurt her as much as he did in the first book. But he still wanted to fuck with her head, and that is exactly what he did. It was hard to feel anything but sorrow for him. Throughout this entire book you learn about why he is the way he is. And he went through some seriously fucked up shit during his life. So you can't help but feel sorry for him and I guess kind of understand the way he acts? It still doesn't make it okay for the way he treated his past Chapters or Elsa.

I finished this book about 12 hours ago and decided I needed to think about this book before writing a review. Because I was so... I dont know the right word... irritated? exasperated? I don't know. But I knew I needed to think about everything a bit before I came on here to voice my opinion. And let me tell you, I am SO happy that I waited. Because this morning after waking up I seen a quote by Mr. Rodgers shared on social media. And most people know about him and how... influential he was. And that quote was:

"Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now."

And damn, if that quote doesn't make me think of this book in a whole new light. I now understand more about why Elsa did what she did. Why she was okay with Victor AND Mr. Black. She knew she needed to accept the person that he was and the person he is includes Mr. Black. I couldn't see that while reading. But after reading that quote. Man, it just opened my mind. And I am now more understanding of the characters and what happened in this book. No, I don't think a lot of what happened was right. But yes, I do understand a little bit better.

I will say that this book is NOT for the faint of heart.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Return to Grace Street.

March 15, 2018 – Shelved