Charvi's Reviews > Darius the Great Is Not Okay

Darius the Great Is Not Okay by Adib Khorram

bookshelves: loved-it-tier, underrated

Oh my god this book made me laugh till I had stitches and then punched me in my heart, aka Level Ten of Epic Writing.

Darius is the sweetest little boy who is an anxious bundle of awkwardness with feelings of never being enough. Suffering from depression and being bullied by his classmates over his name and Persian heritage, he finds a way of escape when his whole family sets off to Iran to visit Darius' grandparents. But even there Darius has to deal with the knowledge that is Babao(grandfather) is dying due to a brain tumor and the fact that he is fat, depressed and barely knows any Farsi makes him stand out in the worst ways possible. But then he finds Sohrab and it's as if their souls are meant to be. With Sohrab guiding him through every step, Darius might just be able to make it out with his sanity intact.

I absolutely loved that we got a deep insight into the Persian culture and traditions, I mean my mouth was watering at every other page because the amount of delicious Persian food that was described was insane. I also loved going sight-seeing from Darius' point of view as he talked about the exquisite details and also the meaning and importance behind every place.

All the characters were richly developed and complex to the point that I felt I knew them in real life. Darius' mom is such a sweet women who is dealing with the upcoming loss of her father and saying goodbye to a part of her heritage while raising her family in America. I don't want to talk much about Darius' father in case I give away any spoilers but he seems to be the strict and indifferent but there are a lot of layers that you need to peel off to really get to know Stephen Kellner. My absolute favourite has to be Laleh and the bond she shared with her brother Darius. Honestly, it was the purest thing ever :')

Mamou and Babou simply reminded me of my own grandparents so yeah I got quite attached to the pair. Also Sohrab is a smol and kind cinnamon roll that needs to be protected at all costs!

Beside all this I loved the depression representation because it felt really accurate and the book also dealt with how depression doesn't need a so called cause. Sometimes you can feel depressed for no reason whatsoever and it is still COMPLETELY VALID. It also deals really well with toxic masculinity issues, fat-shaming that teenage boys face and low-key racism.

All in all this book did a fantastic job in combining every single element possible and making me cry buckets. Would 100/100 recommend to everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darius the Great Is Not Okay.

March 14, 2018 – Shelved