Milliebot's Reviews > The Witch's Trinity

The Witch's Trinity by Erika Mailman

liked it
bookshelves: dusty-bookshelf-2018
Read 2 times. Last read March 13, 2018 to March 14, 2018.

This is a solid little piece of historical fiction about witchcraft in Germany in the early 1500s. The story follows Gude, an elderly woman who lives with her son and spiteful daughter-in-law and their two children. She's suffering from what's probably Alzheimers or Dementia (sorry, I don't know much about either) around the same time that a friar comes to their little town to sniff out witches. The town has been starving after several seasons of bad harvest and the people are looking for someone to blame.

While I didn't think this was spectacular and won't be keeping my copy, I did read it in two sittings. The chapters are short and the story was engaging and fairly fast-paced (at least, in terms of how the hunt escalates). I find the horrible, mob-mentality of witch hunts fascinating and this book really illustrated how quickly people are willing to turn on their neighbors, friends and even family, if it means putting food on the table and finding a scapegoat for their problems. I also learned about a torture device that I'd never heard of (the pear of anguish) which is horrible and made my ladybits hurt just reading about it!

So, yeah. If this time period and subject are your thing, this might be a good book to borrow or get your hands on for cheap.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witch's Trinity.

Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
December 2, 2013 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
March 13, 2018 – Started Reading
March 14, 2018 – Shelved
March 14, 2018 – Shelved as: dusty-bookshelf-2018
March 14, 2018 –
page 148
53.24% "Holy moly, just read about a torture device that made my ladybits hurt! I wonder if it was real but no way in hell am I googling that."
March 14, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Paulina (new)

Paulina Sanchez I shouldn't have looked up what the pear was about... ::shivers::

message 2: by Milliebot (new) - added it

Milliebot it's the worst!