Lainy's Reviews > The Passage

The Passage by Justin Cronin

it was ok

Blurb from Goodreads

First, the unthinkable: a security breach at a secret U.S. government facility unleashes the monstrous product of a chilling military experiment. Then, the unspeakable: a night of chaos and carnage gives way to sunrise on a nation, and ultimately a world, forever altered. All that remains for the stunned survivors is the long fight ahead and a future ruled by fear—of darkness, of death, of a fate far worse.

As civilization swiftly crumbles into a primal landscape of predators and prey, two people flee in search of sanctuary. FBI agent Brad Wolgast is a good man haunted by what he’s done in the line of duty. Six-year-old orphan Amy Harper Bellafonte is a refugee from the doomed scientific project that has triggered apocalypse. He is determined to protect her from the horror set loose by her captors. But for Amy, escaping the bloody fallout is only the beginning of a much longer odyssey—spanning miles and decades—towards the time and place where she must finish what should never have begun.

With The Passage, award-winning author Justin Cronin has written both a relentlessly suspenseful adventure and an epic chronicle of human endurance in the face of unprecedented catastrophe and unimaginable danger. Its inventive storytelling, masterful prose, and depth of human insight mark it as a crucial and transcendent work of modern fiction.
From the Publisher (Random House)

My Review

Another where I was torn between a 2 or a 3 but after weighing it up I had to go with a 2. The first quarter I really liked, how it all started and Amys beginnings however the next quarter after that was an uphill struggle and I was ready for giving up to be honest. The whole set up after "the time before" I found hard to remember what the new terminology was and got really bored and annoyed with a lot of the characters.

However it picked up again and I was glad I stuck with it and got to like some of the characters and the twists that followed. However as the end came around I was really disappointed, I won't spoil it as I hate spoiler reviews but even at the end I found it just came to a stop and was left hanging which lost the book another few stars.

Definately a marmite read, some love it some hate it - I think you should read it yourself and see which side you fall to 2/5 for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Passage.

November 8, 2011 – Started Reading