Patrice Sartor's Reviews > The Art of Eating In: How I Learned to Stop Spending and Love the Stove

The Art of Eating In by Cathy Erway

Nov 07, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: food, biography, love-sex-romance, non-fiction
Read from November 09 to 21, 2011

3.5 stars, really. This book describes the author's reasoning behind, life during and culmination of her decision to not eat out (at restaurants, lunch carts, etc.) while living in New York. I had not previously heard of the blog that she launched because of her decision: noteatingoutinny.com, though after reading the account of the process I bookmarked it.

Because I was unfamiliar with the blog, I cannot state with certainty whether or not regular blog readers will find enough extra to read about here, though my suspicion is that they will. Erway includes a lot of personal information about her life---we learn about her boyfriend, her family, and especially her friends. By the end of the book I was overwhelmed with the number of names to keep track of, though.

After every chapter a few recipes are included, and they all sound very good. Erway writes in an accessible, easy-to-enjoy style. The book has some slow chapters, but overall I liked reading about this experiment and various food events and dinners at friend's houses in New York.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Eating In.