Sebastian Gebski's Reviews > Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't

Good to Great by James C. Collins

Simple, yet very striking message that has resonated with me perfectly.
Author (& the well-organised, scientific approach to back up his thesis) confirms what my experience tells me - that transformation of good to great is enabled by simple truths we keep neglecting on the daily basis because we need some stuff "right here & right now", e.g.:

* building up team in a steady way, with PROPER people, not just available people
* strategic goals are important for everyone, you just sometimes need to state them in a different way for different people - but having unique specialty/target/focus(/thing your company excels in) aka hedgehog concept is crucial to distinguish from mediocrity
* iterative, tiny (but consistent) steps - not the quasi-random "leapfrogging" - is what builds up success long-term
* culture of discipline - I couldn't emphasise it too much - some sort of discipline & duty HAS to be within people, not in policies or control mechanisms (which lead only to US vs THEM syndrome)
* high standards (by example) from the top to the ground

17 years have passed since this book has go published, but it didn't get outdated at all - highly recommended classic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good to Great.

March 13, 2018 – Started Reading