Pablito's Reviews > Where I Am Now

Where I Am Now by Jessica Barksdale Inclán

bookshelves: best-friends-to-lovers, pablito-s-favorites
Reading for the 3rd time. Most recently started March 25, 2018.

In spite of the need for copy-editing, Where I Am Now is not to be missed.

At first I thought the story told from six perspectives (Rick, Steve, and their two parents) was or would become overkill. But very soon the individual vantage points (with very little overlapping of the plot) crystallize and the mosaic of views fills in the gaps. A big part of this is that the reader learns to trust the writer's ventriloquism, and even welcomes it. Two marriages nearly fail over their sons' turning from best friends to true loves, but adversity can transform lives even as it upends them.

This is such a lush read because the writer brings her reader into diverse lives that are nonetheless interdependent, hung together by that "invisible white hair" Hart Crane once sang to us about in "My Grandmother's Love Letters": "Over the greatness of such space/ Steps must be gentle."

Trust this author to guide and to take you there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where I Am Now.

Finished Reading
March 13, 2018 – Shelved
March 13, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
March 24, 2018 – Started Reading
March 24, 2018 –
page 50
18.32% "How pricey could a copy editor be for a novel of this length?

Where I Am Now is a richly told novel from many insightful perspectives, but honestly, why undermine its richness with TYPOS?????

Shame on the author for letting Steve and Rick's story go public with an unedited manuscript, and double shame on the publisher for letting down this author.
"
March 25, 2018 – Started Reading
March 25, 2018 – Shelved as: best-friends-to-lovers
March 25, 2018 – Shelved as: pablito-s-favorites
March 25, 2018 –
page 50
18.32% "How pricey could a copy editor be for a novel of this length?

"