Lu's Reviews > The King's Men

The King's Men by Nora Sakavic

did not like it
bookshelves: ya-but-like-every-category, ya-male-narrators
Read 2 times. Last read April 14, 2018 to April 15, 2018.

EXCUSE ME I WANT MORE

THEY WERE SO protective. they WERE A FAMILY.

“I want to break his face in six places. If he ever comes within a thousand years of you again—“

They legit love each other so much (on the whole) and even though Neil lied, they UNDERSTAND why and they get it and they won’t lose him because they’re family and where one goes, they all go and they are such a FAMILY and they won’t lose each other no matter what they do and even though they’re violent, and have really bad pasts and have done really TERRIBLE things and yes they’re MESSY and they’re not perfect and the book doesn’t say that they’re good people but it showed them as BROKEN and NOT PERFECT.

Neil was being his “I’m fine” self and I just wanted to hug him.

“that’s not exactly reassuring. From you “fine” cold mean anything from “I’m going to hitchhike across the state” to “I’m beaten to a bloody pulp but I can still hold a racquet”.”

we got to see the real Andrew, as in the I’m-not-on-drugs-that-make-me-laugh-at-everything-to-overcome-my-manic-depression-Andrew and can I just say I love him even more. So,, be doesn’t actively show a bucket full of emotion but you KNOW YOU FREAKING KNOW how much he’s thinking sometimes (view spoiler) Let’s just agree that Andrew goes through so much development and I carhgrjgrkg.

“waiting on you,” Andrew reminded him.
“I didn’t invite him,” Browning said.
“Trust me, Wymack said. “You’ll fare a lot better if you take them both.”

ANDREW.

Also. THE SHIPS SAIL AND I’M SORRY BUT I CANNOT COPE MY POOR HARDLY-BEATING HEART COME BACK TO ME. I honestly cannot. And them having to deal with one of them having PTSD(???) from things in their past, and them dealing that TOGETHER and there was so much on active consent and not just completely rejecting them as a “yes” and omg this was just heartbreakingly amazing and I just love how that was there and OF COURSE THE SHIP.

" “Don’t ask questions you already know the answer to.” [Andrew]
Neil frowned at him, lost, but Andrew didn’t waste his time explaining.”

FINAL SUMMARY:

* I will never stop loving this series.
* yes they’re not perfect.
* yes, they’re mean.
* yes, they’re also a F A M I L Y.
* yes there’s so much torture and PAUN but they manage.
* IT HURTS TO READ THIS.
* BUT THE SHIPS.
* The character development (Andrew!! Neil!! Kevin!!) I CANNOT DESCRIBE HOW FANTASTIC THIS WAS.
* An author who wants you to hurt and succeeds and they GET HURT. LIKE. HURT HURT.
* DARKNESS.
* OH LOOK, MORE DARKNESS.
* OH! AND A BUCKET LOAD MORE!!
* NEIL.
* ANDREW.
* EVERYONE. CINNAMON ROLLS.
* AMAZING LGBTQ+ and consent stuff!!
* me sobbing it’s over.
*Me migrating to Nora Sakavis’s tumblr so that I can read all the extra content and die some more because THIS WAS NOT ENOUGH.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The King's Men.

Quotes Lu Liked

“This,” Neil flicked his finger to indicate the two of them, “isn’t worthless.”
“There is no ‘this’. This is nothing.”
“And I am nothing,” Neil prompted. When Andrew gestured confirmation, Neil said, “And as you’ve always said, you want nothing.”
Andrew stared stone-faced back at him.”
Nora Sakavic, The King's Men

“This isn’t about the Ravens. This is about you. This is about everything it took you to get to this point, everything it cost you, and everyone who laughed when you dared to dream of something big and bright. You’re here tonight because you refused to give up and refused to give in. You’re here where they all said you’d never be, and no one can say you haven’t earned the right to play this game.
“All eyes are on you. It’s time to show them what you’re made of. There’s no room for doubt, no room for second guesses, no room for error. This is your night. This is your game. This is your moment. Seize it with everything you’ve got. Pull out all the stops and lay it all on the line. Fight because you don’t know how to die quietly. Win because you don’t know how to lose. This king’s ruled long enough—it’s time to tear his castle down.”
Nora Sakavic, The King's Men

March 13, 2018 – Shelved
March 14, 2018 –
50.0% "ANDREIL MY HEART"
March 15, 2018 –
85.0% "Hsuehehs MY HEART?"
March 15, 2018 – Shelved as: ya-but-like-every-category
March 16, 2018 – Started Reading
March 17, 2018 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators
March 17, 2018 – Finished Reading
April 14, 2018 – Started Reading
April 15, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by rhi ✰ (new) - added it

rhi ✰ the way this book ripped my heart apart... still not over this book and i hate it (also did u reread this i'm so tempted to reread this should i should i should i)