Kate's Reviews > Ace of Shades

Ace of Shades by Amanda Foody

liked it
bookshelves: 2018, age-ya, fantasy, owl-crate

Enne Salta has just arrived in New Reynes to try to find her adoptive mother Lourdes, who left a mysterious note. New Reynes is a city of sin, and Enne's proper ways are immediately challenged. She manages to find Levi, the boy her mother named in her note, and since Levi needs money to pay back debts for his gang, he decides to help Enne and sets her up with a job with a dangerous woman who places an omierta on her, a curse which means she must do what she's told and can't tell anyone about it - essentially turning Enne into an assassin. As Enne tries to find her mother, she also discovers that her blood talents aren't exactly what she had been told. Levi's need to for money becomes more desperate when he is invited to the Shadow Game, a notorious game in which the players almost certainly die at the end.

This book had a lot of hype, and I was excited to read it, but for me I had a really hard time connecting with the characters. There was a lot going on, between the volts (their form of money) and the blood talents (basically a form of magic) and the gangs and Mizers and omiertas. I can sort of see why people say it's similar to Six of Crows, the setting is very similar and a few of the characters even seemed similar - but it lacked the clever "Ocean's Eleven" feel of Six of Crows. However, once Enne got a job with the acrobats and found she had a talent for flying trapeze... well, my circus heart was very pleased. That's when I started to get a better feel for Enne and Levi's attraction and also started caring about some of the side characters like Jac and Lola who were so loyal and sort of used by Levi and Enne. I liked the mystery of who Lourdes was and who Enne's real parents were. I'm not convinced I'll read the second book, though.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ace of Shades.

March 13, 2018 – Shelved