Susie Finkbeiner's Reviews > The Journey of Little Charlie

The Journey of Little Charlie by Christopher Paul Curtis

When I find out that Christopher Paul Curtis has released a new book, it's a no brainer. I will buy it to read with my kids. I know that it will be a powerful story with true to life characters.

The Journey of Little Charlie Bobo was no deviation.

Darker than the rest of Curtis' novels, Charlie's story delves into the horrors of the American slave trade, the evil of those who tortured the enslaved, and the safe haven that Canada provided for those who managed to escape their bondage. We had many conversations while reading, allowing our hearts to grieve this ugly chapter in our nation's history, and to imagine what it would have been like to live at that time.

Curtis remains a Finkbeiner favorite. This book only served to cement our high view of his writing.

Highly recommended for upper elementary or middle school kids. This books is perhaps best with read together with an adult who can help navigate the harsher realities of the slave trade and torture. Quite a bit of death and gruesome details.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Journey of Little Charlie.

March 13, 2018 – Started Reading