Karith Amel's Reviews > Texts of Terror: Literary-Feminist Readings of Biblical Narratives

Texts of Terror by Phyllis Trible

bookshelves: nonfiction, kenya-reading

"I am unworthy - how can I reply to you? I put my hand over my mouth." -Job 40:4

If you care about the Bible - taking it seriously, reading it carefully - you should read this book. If you are a textual scholar, who loves form, pattern, and language - who believes the details matter - you should read this book. If you are a person of faith, who also happens to be a feminist, you should read this book. If you care about violence against women, you should read this book. If you care about women - period - you should read this book. Really, whoever you are, you should read this book.

It lives up to its title, and should be read with fear and trembling, but there is power here and hope. Glimpses of a way forward. If we pay attention. If we refuse to forget. If we allow the text to speak its terror, and listen with humble hearts, hands pressed over our mouths.

As Trible writes in the conclusion of her most terror-filled essay (a commentary on Judges 19:1-30), "Woman as object is still captured, betrayed, raped, tortured, murdered, dismembered, and scattered. To take to heart this ancient story, then, is to confess its present reality. The story is alive, and all is not well. Beyond confession we must take counsel and say, 'Never again.' Yet this counsel is itself ineffectual unless we direct our hearts to that most uncompromising of all biblical commands, speaking the word not to others but to ourselves: Repent. Repent." (87)

Read this book. Sit with the uncomfortable, complex reality that is scripture. Listen to the voices we have silenced. Who knows? It may be that you will hear the voice of God.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Texts of Terror.

January 29, 2018 – Started Reading