Amy's Reviews > The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Twentieth Annual Collection

The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror by Ellen Datlow

May 29, 2008

Recommended for: Fans of Horror short stories

This was a total roller coaster. It was a very exciting ride and I never knew what was coming next. There was so much creativity and originality that I despair of ever being a good writer. The editors put together this group of stories that transported me all over the world as well as into the intricate magic in the unseen microcosm of anyone's backyard. Some stories were challengingly subtle and some were expansive and grotesque.

The stories followed me. I found myself thinking about them at odds times. Something out of the corner of my eye would remind me and I'd think, "What if?"

Unfortunately, I'm still completely disappointed in so many of the authors who couldn't seem to write their story without an "F" word. Did that really add anything? I imagine that they're trying to be "real," but more often it takes me out of the story. Hey, I was in your world, I totally believed it, but you drop an f-bomb, and I'm back in my chair, in the hum-drum "real" world. So, sorry, I can't recommend the book.

Also, the horror stories were scary enough that I couldn't tell someone who liked fantasy, but not horror, to read it, even though the fantasy stories were delightful. None of the stories were labeled "Fantasy" or "Horror" and half the time you didn't know until the end of the story anyway. But if you like short story horror, this book is for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror.