Jeanette's Reviews > Grounded: A Dragon's Tale

Grounded by Gloria Piper

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, science-fiction, young-adult

I loved Gloria Piper's Grounded: A Dragon's Tale. It is a great story set on a unique and well thought through story world.

The story inter-leaves the narrative from the dragon Many Colours (Rumplewing) in first person and sections from the Watchers and Baaden in third person. Through Many Colours, we are introduced to dragon society and to their terraformed planet with a multitude of different wildlife, including unicorns and griffons. The dragons (the Shining ones) form clans and feed on the Manna fields in the skies. Each dragon is bonded for life to groombug that keeps them alive.

Yet all is not well in this Edenic planet - Many Colours and her groombug Tweekie resent having to carry the lazy and flightless Batwing but soon have much more serious problems to deal with.

The dragons and other creatures are observed by 'The Watchers' including young 16 year Hote who is not taken seriously by the other watchers because of his conviction of an alien inside of him after an alleged transporter accident. And the group given the contract to supply the Watchers, I D Express with their commander 2Ray1, are harvesting the planet in collusion with Star Circus - for the arena, for meat and skins - including the dragons. Soon Many Colours (Rumplewing) is thrust into a desperate race to save the dragons and herself, with the help of the elder groombug, Balofur and Hote and his mother Amber.

While Many Colours comes across as a bit whiny at first, I grew to love her stubborn determination and growing wisdom. Hote provided an enigma and I found him a sympathetic character. Balofur, Amber and Fetidbreath were also interesting. The other Watchers and the villains were a little more two-dimensional and elements of the plot too neatly wrapped up (especially Baaden and Batwing, but even the timing of some events with respect to the Arbiter).
Yet, the uniqueness of the dragons, their society and the planet as well as the intricate and intriguing plot, the issues raised, and the suspense over the ultimate fate of the dragons - would they be saved from destruction, would their sentience be acknowledged - kept me engaged to a satisfying ending.

I'd recommend Grounded: A Dragon's Tale to lovers of dragons, unique worlds, and entertaining tales that raise issues of sentience, ecology, exploitation, and dynamics of power.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grounded.

March 12, 2018 – Started Reading