Carissa's Reviews > Black: The Birth of Evil

Black by Ted Dekker

May 29, 2008

bookshelves: adult

this book was recommended to me by a teen at my library. apparently, it's the first book of the trilogy that everyone in her circle is reading right now. i was very concerned at first that i'd made a mistake bringing this book as the only reading for my plane ride out east. the intro and the first chapter read exactly like an action movie--gun fights, kung fu moves, swedish thugs... ugh. but then, it suddenly got interesting. the main character, thomas hunter, begins dreaming very realistic dreams. so realistic in fact, that he's suddenly not sure which is the real world and which is the dream world. and as soon as he falls asleep in one world, he wakes in the other world as though no time has passed. that's an intriguing enough plot device as it is, but throw in a virus that could kill off the entire human population, a power-hungry fiend, some unexpected (but not head-bashingly didactic) religious allegory and... it's a compelling read. i even put the second book on hold (hello cliffhanger!) despite the fact that it's a thick adult-length novel. we'll see where book 2 goes. i have a feeling it could twist the plot in a totally new direction.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black.