Kirstie's Reviews > The Story Equation: How to Plot and Write a Brilliant Story from One Powerful Question

The Story Equation by Susan May Warren

bookshelves: non-fiction, writing-development

I've been reading a lot of writing craft books lately for a course I'm doing. Some of them I'd read before, but a lot of them contain content I've read before or come across in other classes, workshops, ect, so I was starting to get a little bored (still diligently taking notes though because you never know what tiny fragment might prove new or helpful). However the new angles and heightened emotional focus made this a very useful book which felt quite fresh.

The book focuses on certain events, their emotional impact and fallout and how that affects almost everything n your story in some way and helps grow your unique characters. It also helps with plotting the middle in a way that takes the muddle out of the middle.

From a note taking perspective it was a bit frustrating because points were brought up in brief, then later expanded upon, then later again, before finally at the end being put together in the titled 'equation'. If you're just reading its not a problem, but notes end up messy and a bit all over the place ;p

This book would be helpful to both newbies and intermediates and the more experienced looking for a new way to come at things. I think its perspective will make it fresh reading even for those who have already done a reasonable amount in writing craft.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story Equation.

March 11, 2018 – Started Reading