chan ☆'s Reviews > Taking Avery

Taking Avery by D.H. Sidebottom

liked it
bookshelves: 2018, alpha-male, contemporary-romance, mc-boys

if i would have really processed the fact that this was written by d.h. sidebottom i probably would have run for the fucking hills.

but i'm glad i didn't notice and i'm glad i read this, because it was genuinely a great MC read.

i know a lot of people complain in sports books/mafia books/MC books at the lack of research that can happen. at the inaccuracy/lack of nuance to the lives of the characters in those sorts of situations. but this was sufficiently gritty and seemed pretty accurate to me.

i'm not going to talk about the plot because i feel like this book would be easily spoiled. that being said, i really liked the overall plot of the book and the characters. avery had dreams that i could relate to and her man was surprisingly awesome. i usually kind of roll my eyes at the alpha male bullshit that goes on in a MC romance but he was actually really cool and respected avery's dreams.

the only thing that made me MEGA cringe were the side characters. again, i don't want to spoil anything but the things that some of the characters get into was beyond perverse and gross. and i don't cringe easily but i did cringe big time at some of the shit that was allowed to happen.

overall i thought this was a pretty great read, if a little cliche. if you like MC romances you'll probably love this, and if you're wanting to try a MC romance then this is definitely a good one to start with.

note: if you're curious about my d.h. sidebottom comment... she wrote one of my least favorite books of all time, "Caged." feel free to go find that review if you want a good laugh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taking Avery.

March 11, 2018 – Shelved