Megan's Reviews > The Gloaming

The Gloaming by Kirsty Logan

F 50x66

The Gloaming is a lovely new piece of magical realism from the author of The Gracekeepers, and I really enjoyed it. It was a gentle, dreamy sort of read, but there was a darker undercurrent which kept me intrigued.

Mara, Islay and Barra are the three children of Signe and Peter, who have come to the island to set up a bed and breakfast in a ruined old mansion. Their lives are pleasant and magical, but then tragedy strikes and their lives are changed forever. Later, Mara meets a mysterious young woman named Pearl - a mermaid who performs in exotic hotels.

Nothing on the island is what it seems. When people die, they don't die - they walk up to a cliff where they become stone statues. It is implied that there other magic at work but it's not explicitly shown. Instead, the book focuses on grief, love and loss of many kinds, presenting a compassionate and delicately written portrait of its characters.

There were many things I really liked about The Gloaming - there is a lesbian relationship which is always nice to see, and I loved the tone of the writing and the quirky characters. It started a bit slow and took me a while to get into, but I didn't really mind as I felt it suited the story. It's very different from The Gracekeepers but at the same time, similar. There's a fascination with the sea and selkies in particular. The Gloaming is a really lovely book. It comes out April 19 and I recommend it to anyone who likes magical realism!

I received this copy from the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gloaming.

March 11, 2018 – Started Reading