Dark Faerie Tales's Reviews > The House of Binding Thorns

The House of Binding Thorns by Aliette de Bodard

bookshelves: reviewed-by-roxanne

Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A powerful conspiracy aimed not only at the houses but the dragon kingdom threatens to destroy them all.

Opening Sentence: In the House of Hawthorn all the days blurred and merged into one another, like teardrops sliding down a pane of glass.

The Review:

Madeline has finally been detoxed from the angel essence, but no one is really sure she will survive since no one has successfully broken and essence addiction before. However, when Asmodeus gives her the choice of death or loyalty (in which she will never do essence again), she chooses loyalty and soon is given a task to accompany Elphon and others into the dragon kingdom to secure a marriage for Asmodeus. Once there, Madeline finds that the real reason they are there is because the Ambassador is missing and Asmodeus cannot find her.

Soon they find out she left the palace three days before and hasn’t returned, Elphon takes off and Madeline has to come clean that he has left but that he should return later. However, once she finds a cryptic message from the missing Ambassador telling her to meet with the Prince, Madeline knows there is more going on and something is very wrong. Meanwhile, Thuan is spying in the House of Hawthorn and he is determined to find proof that they are the ones bringing the angel essence into the dragon kingdom.

Philippe, the doctor, has found a woman having a child with Asmodeus, and begins negotiations to bring them in the House of Hawthorn. Madeline meets with the Prince and soon after is taken captive by Yen Oanh. Soon she finds herself faced with the awful choice of being killed or using angel essence in order to escape. As everything begins to unravel, Madeline, Asmodeus and Thaun will all be faced with impossible choices and House of Hawthorn will either fall or rise from the ashes.

I highly recommend you read book one before reading this one. You will be lost, it took me awhile a to remember everything because I read book 1 a few months ago and have read so many books in between now and then. I am not a big angel fan, I have found much like steampunk it is very hit or miss with me. Usually miss, but this series is intriguing and beautifully written. There is a lot going on in the first two books. I still don’t feel a big connection with the characters, but I will say I didn’t see how or what was behind the conspiracy until it was revealed to me.

This is a subtle and layered book, and most of the action doesn’t really pick up until about midway through the book. I found myself devouring the pages, but still trying to put everything together. I am not sure where the author is going with the series, but count me in for the ride.

Notable Scene:

Iaris didn’t understand. She couldn’t understand. She hadn’t stood in the drawing room watching Frederic, and Zoe and Elphon and all the other gardeners be cut down. She wasn’t the one who had crawled through the streets of Paris, the cobblestones slick with her own blood, every movement awakening fresh pain in her calves, in her broken ribs, every agonizing guesture underlined with the same fear that he would find her, that his thugs would finish what they had started.

FTC Advisory: ACE/Penguin provided me with a copy of The House of Binding Thorns. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of Binding Thorns.

Finished Reading