C.G. Drews's Reviews > A Song Below Water

A Song Below Water by Bethany C. Morrow

bookshelves: magical-fantasy, young-adult, read-2020

This was such an ethereal and fresh magical realism story. Like all I really need to say is it's about two sisters (not by birth, but by heart) who are absolutely everything to each other. One is a siren. One is...something else. They're Black, they're hurting, they're longing to be themselves and not have to hide. The story is so beautiful, and also raw with pain. It was sobering reading the scene where they go to the protest because I read this as the June 2020 Black Live Matter protests were happening and the descriptions of what is happening right now were right on page in this book. Things have not changed. Justice has not been given. And this adds in magic and secrets and the yearing to live without harassment?? It 😭is here to make you think.

My absolute favourite thing was Effie and Octavia's friendship. They are so close, they love each other so much, they'd protect each other from anything. My heart is for them!!

There's also an entrancing spin on different mythos in here. I loved that! The world is ours, except magic is "expected" (although sirens are absolutely hated) and it has a lot of legendary creatures I haven't thought about/read about before. Gargoyles! And then Effie's reveal blew my mind and I LOVED IT. Also made so much sense.

And if you're thinking of trying the audiobook? Do. It's gorgeous. Each sister has a different narrator and their voices were such a pleasure to listen to.

The writing is definitely whimsical, on the slower paced side, and often the girls got lost in introspective thought spirals, so I did chaff at the communication fails. But the book would've been 100pgs shorter if people talked to each other so 😂I get it.

Whimsical and fresh, full of twists and magical creatures! It also will make your heart hurt, and it didn't hesitate to dive in with a fresh hot knife to talk about the racism and abuse of the world. These sisters though 😭💛 I loved them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Song Below Water.

March 10, 2018 – Shelved
March 10, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
June 6, 2020 – Started Reading
June 9, 2020 –
50.0% "the sister love in this book is absolutely everything 🥺💛"
June 12, 2020 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy
June 12, 2020 – Shelved as: young-adult
June 12, 2020 – Shelved as: read-2020
June 12, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

My Bookish Delights Oh, I'm glad you liked it! I just got it in the mail yesterday and was disappointed with how short it was. I need to connect with characters and that's hard to do with a book under 300 pages. Not impossible, just hard. I'm hopeful again to read it after reading your review though.

Melissa ~ Missy (FrayedBooks) I have the audiobook on hold with my library right now so I'm glad to hear its great! Really looking forward to this one - thanks for your lovely review!