Leigh Kramer's Reviews > A Girl Like Her

A Girl Like Her by Talia Hibbert

bookshelves: favorites

I've been hearing such good things about Talia Hibbert the past couple of months and finally had a chance to try her out. Consider me an instant convert! This book blew me away and then some.

First, I loved that Ruth has autism and that this is #ownvoices. She was a fascinating character and I loved the insights into how her mind worked. I also loved her passion for comics and all of her nerdy characteristics. She was so fierce and it was pure joy to watch her slowly lower her guard around Evan and start to heal from her past.

Second, Evan is a magical unicorn of a man and I wish I could clone him. He's the kind of man who makes meals for his neighbor and his friend and cannot help but be a nurturing caregiver. This can get him into trouble because he's not as good at taking care of himself. But that's where Ruth came in because she was able to look out for him too.

The plot slowly unraveled its revelations about the characters and it was so perfectly timed. The character growth was tremendous as well. I loved how Evan was able to persistently and consistently be there for Ruth, respecting her boundaries but also biding his time to win her trust. Watching Ruth fall for him was everything.

What else can I say? I absolutely loved this book!

Content warning: past domestic violence

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Girl Like Her.

March 10, 2018 – Shelved
March 10, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
April 21, 2018 – Started Reading
April 22, 2018 –
10.0% "Evan is making meals for his neighbor and his friend! Who is this unicorn?!"
April 25, 2018 –
40.0% "“Sometimes her mind spit out recycled epithets instead of actual thoughts. Sometimes her mind was someone else’s weapon.”

Ruth is such a fascinating character. Love these insights into her mind."
April 25, 2018 –
41.0% "“What are you doing?”

Really, she should be the one asking him that.
Instead, she said lightly, “I’m looking after you.”

He swallowed. “I don’t need looking after.”

“Why? Because you’re the world’s saviour?” Ruth smiled as he looked up sharply, surprise all over his face. “Everyone needs looking after, Evan. And you have stolen my apology, so you can let me do this instead.”"
April 26, 2018 –
61.0% "“He’d thought he loved that mouth before; now he was ready to pay it tithes.”

Gah, I love him."
April 26, 2018 –
65.0% "“When they were young, very young, they’d talked about being twins. Imagined, and sometimes pretended, that they were. It had never been hard to convince people. But, while they looked the same, they’d always been very different. Opposites, even. Which was fine, Ruth realised. Good, in fact. Because identical puzzle pieces wouldn’t fit together like this.”"
April 26, 2018 –
73.0% "Now this is how you write consent! Sexy as hell."
April 26, 2018 – Finished Reading