Anita's Reviews > The Girl in the Moss

The Girl in the Moss by Loreth Anne White

bookshelves: arc, mystery-thriller-suspense, romantic-supense

Loreth Anne White writes a mean, gritty romantic-suspense. I just love her! I used to think that LAW's style was similar to Sandra Brown and the late Sue Grafton, I feel the same essence and power that is present in those great authors. Loreth Anne White is in a class all her own. While I see a lot of similarity in Angie Pallerino to the Grafton character Kinsey Milhorn, they are very much soul sisters, Angie has a hot, sexy guy that will stick and is working through the issues of her childhood and accepting them as elements that shaped her character. All of LAW's books have richly drawn characters with real foibles, real fears and real emotions. My only complaint about this book is that there was not enough James Maddocks!

Life for Angie Pallerino after being revealed as the infamous Cradle Child has been a series of ups and downs, mostly downs. She was fired from the job as a police detective that defined who she was as a person and she seriously didn't know what to do with James Maddocks and his marriage proposal, except to ignore it. While on a fishing trip that was meant to give them some much needed time together, they are present when the skeleton is discovered in a mossy grove near the Nahamish River. This throws Angie back in the media spotlight, where she so does not want to be. It also becomes cause for her new boss, Jock Brixton of Coastal Investigations, to fire her. Just when Angie is starting to envision a future with Maddocks and her own business as a Private Investigator, that vision is ripped away leaving her adrift.

The media is both a curse and a blessing. Because of the media, Angie is contacted by the grandmother of the woman whose skeleton was found. Retired Supreme Court Justice Jilly Monaghan wants Angie to investigate the last months of her granddaughter, Jasmine Gulati's live. Jasmine was on a fishing trip 24 years ago when she fell into the rive and was never seen again. There is no crime, the death was an accident. But as Angie digs into Jasmine's life, she finds some unflattering information about Jasmine and some information that points to a Cold Case currently being worked by Detective Kjel Holgersen, Angie's former partner. The deeper Angie digs the more danger she finds herself in and the more convinced she becomes that she wants a life with Maddocks. Now she just has to survive to live it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Moss.

March 10, 2018 – Shelved
March 10, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
March 15, 2018 – Shelved as: arc
June 5, 2018 – Started Reading
June 7, 2018 – Shelved as: mystery-thriller-suspense
June 7, 2018 – Shelved as: romantic-supense
June 7, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

CD {Boulder Blvd} I got an ARC from NG. Great addition to the series.

Anita Yea!! I'm really looking forward to reading this new book.

Jonetta Excellent review, Anita, especially your distinctions about the author. You nailed it. Glad you loved it!

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Wonderful review, Anita! I am reading this now and I am loving every minute of it.

Anita Thank you Jonetta and Mary Beth. LAW truly is in a class by her self and I can't wait for more books.