Remy Sharp's Reviews > Adrian Mole: The Prostrate Years

Adrian Mole by Sue Townsend

liked it

I had a hard time reading this book, took me a long time as I found Mole and the surrounding characters extremely…sad or pathetic or selfish. It continued on like this until about 80% where I started to enjoy the book a little more and the characters finally start to bloom and become more complex, and endearing.

It ends on a hopeful note, and after realising this was the last Mole story that Sue Townsend wrote before passing away, leaves me a little sad that this life sort of vanishes with her. I had read The Secret Diary when I was a teenager back in the 80s so Mole has always existed for me, almost like a character from a reality show.

So even though I struggled with this book, I'm glad to have read Mole's final chapters, and hope that he's happy somewhere in his literary universe.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Adrian Mole.

March 9, 2018 – Started Reading
March 9, 2018 – Shelved
March 23, 2018 –
60.0% "Really not enjoying this book. It's pretty much wall to wall pathetic misery. All the characters are shallow, self absorbed and narrow sighted. It's making it very hard to feel sympathy or any connection to the story.

I'm hoping there's a ray of light somewhere in the 2nd half of the book."
March 31, 2018 – Finished Reading