Linda's Reviews > Jar of Hearts

Jar of Hearts by Jennifer Hillier

bookshelves: mystery-thrillers, net-galley, psychological-thriller

Because buried things can, and do, come back.

Life begins once again for Georgina "Geo" Shaw at the age of thirty-five. Sorta like being in a holding pattern without exhaling for those five lost years in Hazelwood Correctional Institution. Imprisonment certainly stakes its claims on the exterior, but self-imposed solitary confinement clutches the criminal offender's heart on the inside.

Plenty of hearts in that ol' jar affected by shaky decisions. Much like the lyrics of the Christina Perri song. That, and the reality that there are no do-overs in life.

Back when Geo and her best friend, Angela Wong, were mere sixteen year olds, wisdom wasn't a prevalent quality in the young. Never really caught on since. Choose your friends carefully and take to the road when you hear that jar opening. Geo claimed silence about the disappearance of Angela. With degree in hand, she goes on to become the youngest executive at Shipps Pharmaceuticals. Rich and successful.....until they found Angela's dismembered body in the woods. Calvin James got life and our girl Geo got five years. Knowledge of the crime doesn't melt away like those candy hearts.

Jennifer Hillier presents a storyline filled with straight-up details and descriptors. Know that going into this one. Not for the faint-of-heart (Sorry!) Hillier paints a might picture of life behind bars in a women's jail and the survival gene dominating in some and missing in others. Geo, upon release, has been honed into a totally different mindset. As she tries to reclaim her old life in Seattle, the horrors of today's nightmares are newly found bodies in the woods. Are there any connections to the past still lurking out there for Geo? And a very large, "by the way", do we have all the missing links threading their way like tendrils around our girl Geo? Hillier won't necessarily throw some of those details into that transparent jar.....not quite yet.

I received a copy of Jar of Hearts through NetGalley for an honest review. My thanks to Minotaur Books and to Jennifer Hillier for the opportunity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jar of Hearts.

March 9, 2018 – Shelved
March 9, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
March 16, 2018 – Started Reading
March 24, 2018 – Shelved as: mystery-thrillers
March 24, 2018 – Shelved as: net-galley
March 24, 2018 – Finished Reading
July 16, 2018 – Shelved as: psychological-thriller

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)

Linda Thanks, DeAnna, Shannon, Jules, Linda, and Debra. Don't expect Valentines in this one. Haha! Creepy stuff happenin'. :D

message 2: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie Sounds like a good one Linda!

Marialyce I have this book and now after reading your review, I am ever so anxious to read it.

Kendall Keep saving raving reviews for this! Can’t wait :)

Kaceey Great review Linda had! Can’t wait to read this one!

Babydimps (Suzy) Awesome review Linda! Sound good! 😊

Norma * Traveling Sister Wonderful review, Linda! I agree this sounds good! :-)

Holly  B Nice review Linda!

Marjorie I won a copy of this on Goodreads but haven't gotten to it yet. Looking forward to it. Enjoyed your review!

Linda Melanie wrote: "Sounds like a good one Linda!"

It was unexpectantly good, Melanie. ;)

Linda Marialyce wrote: "I have this book and now after reading your review, I am ever so anxious to read it."

It's an engaging read, Marialyce. You just have to go with the flow until the very end. ;)

Linda Kendall wrote: "Keep saving raving reviews for this! Can’t wait :)"

It's one of those reads that you save for a "you" day, Kendall. Engaging and entertaining without a lot of heavy lifting. :D

Linda Kaceey wrote: "Great review Linda had! Can’t wait to read this one!"

Thanks, Kaceey. It's getting noticed here on GR for quite the zigzag in the storyline. Really keeps your interest going without bogging it down. :)

Linda Babydimps wrote: "Awesome review Linda! Sound good! 😊"

Thanks, Babydimps. The main character is going to tick you off at times at some of her choices, but that's what keeps you reading until the end. :D

Linda Norma wrote: "Wonderful review, Linda! I agree this sounds good! :-)"

Thanks, Norma. This one holds back all of its cards until the end which is a bit bizarro but fits in with the storyline all along. Crazy stuff! ;)

Linda Holly wrote: "Nice review Linda!"

Thanks, Holly. A wild read that's hard to put into words. :D

Linda Karin wrote: "Great review, Linda!"

Thanks, Karin. This is the kind of book to take with you to the beach or while traveling. Keeps you locked in and entertained. :)

Linda Marjorie wrote: "I won a copy of this on Goodreads but haven't gotten to it yet. Looking forward to it. Enjoyed your review!"

Thanks, Marjorie. Hold onto this one when you need something to break you out of the "dulls". Very weird storyline. :D

message 19: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Super review Linda😄

Linda Thanks, Maureen. Very different approach in this one. 🤗

message 21: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Sounds a little disturbing, Linda!

Linda True, Jen. There's some sexual content that some may find disturbing. 😕

message 23: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda From your wonderful review Linda.......adding!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Lovely review, Linda! So happy to read that you enjoyed this!

message 25: by JanB (new)

JanB Sounds great Linda - fantastic review!

Linda Linda wrote: "From your wonderful review Linda.......adding!"

Thanks, Linda. A really good read for the Summer. :)

Linda Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Lovely review, Linda! So happy to read that you enjoyed this!"

Thanks, Jennifer. Although you have to suspend belief in some sections, it really speaks to the issue of control of one individual over another. :)

Linda JanB wrote: "Sounds great Linda - fantastic review!"

Thanks, Jan. An entertaining read to take on vacation. A kind of "mind escape". Haha! :D

Tammy Terrific review, Linda! Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Linda Thanks, Tammy. This the kind of read that has you turning pages to see how involved the main character is with turning her life around. 😉

Li'l Owl Thanks for the great review, Linda! I just signed up with NetGalley and this is my first book!

Linda So happy for you, Li'l Owl. NetGalley is awesome. But it's like potato chips. You can't help yourself. Haha! 😄

message 33: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike Terrific review, Linda!!

Linda Mike wrote: "Terrific review, Linda!!"

Thanks, Mike. Think that this one is gonna be popular here on GR. ;)

Deanna Great review, Linda!!

Linda Thanks, Deanna. A good one. 👍

Susanne  Strong Nice review Linda!

Linda Thanks, Susanne. Enjoyed it. 😉