Movies, Shows,'s Reviews > The Final Six

The Final Six by Alexandra Monir

Note: This review contains NO spoilers

The Final Six was an interesting read for being the first book I have read by this author. It was action-packed, intriguing, and a bit of romance. I don't read very many science fiction novels, but I do find this genre fascinating and imaginative...of sorts. It starts off on a steady pace, then from there it just keeps going and going. This was definitely a page turner. Then, there is tackling the real issue of climate change. Well, in the book, it has happened. And now, they have a plan.

So... The Final Six focuses on the POVs of Naomi and Leo. They are both driven by different reasons. The character interactions were a bit lacking with it's typical teenage drama and teenage stereotypes thrown in...for good measure. I mean there are the other 22 teens that were chosen right? And... Eh... I can honestly do without it always having to be thrown in. But other than that, it was somewhat realistic; however, I was figuring that teens in that world scenario would be more cooperative, than competitive, since the world is ending....right!?! I mean, yes, they have to be competitive to be chosen as one of the final six, but they all are competing for the same end result.... SAVING THE HUMAN RACE. 😕 Okay, so there was something that wasn't jiving with me while reading...Ha! They are "competing" to save, not just to survive.

As for world building, I thought it was fairly well done. The author did "paint a picture" of what happened to the world after the disasters of climate change. I would say it was artistic and imaginative. It sort of reminded me of that Kevin Costner movie, Waterworld. Different story, but the concept of the world flooded... Um, yeah. The world building was convincing.

As for the story, I enjoyed the story. Page after page, the story followed Naomi and Leo. How they dealt with the news, change in their life, their training, and the other teens chosen. There was drama, twists, and romantic tension (well, they are teenagers, right?!?). Then there is the CLIFFHANGER?!? Wow... As much as I love a cliffhanger, I don't...Haha! It's just pure torcher!!! There is going to be a sequel... Right?!? We just went through all that "training" and we are left with a... Cliffhanger. Ummm... No!

Other than that, The Final Six was a good start of a series?!? Lots of potential since we have just been "through" their training. We haven't even left earth...yet!!! I am definitely looking forward to what comes next, especially with leaving me with that cliffhanger!!??!!

Reviewer: Jasmine

Disclaimer: We received a free copy for an honest review, all is my own opinion

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Final Six.

March 7, 2018 – Started Reading