Charity U's Reviews > The 5 Love Languages Military Edition: The Secret to Love That Lasts

The 5 Love Languages Military Edition by Gary Chapman

bookshelves: dating-girl-stuff, non-fiction-psychology

Okay folks, here's the deal.
I met this guy years ago in college. We got along, he was a good friend - but when he asked me out, I turned him down. Fast forward 2.5 years - we ran into each other at a wedding, shared a magical dance...and decided to start dating! PLOT TWIST - it was the day before he shipped out for Army basic training. ...yeah. Crazy way to start a romantic relationship.
Long story short, we dated long-distance for seven months, saw each other every couple of months in there, fell head over heels in love through letters, and now we're engaged and getting married in just two weeks.
PLOT TWIST TWO - I have NO military background. None whatsoever. No family, very few friends, who have been in the military. So everything is a MAJOR learning curve.
Those who know me know I love psychology, so I was already familiar with Chapman's love languages when I came across this particular edition and decided to give it a shot. I'm so glad I did!
It's really aimed for the couples going through deployment (which has a few similarities to basic, and is in our near future) - but it's applicable to any romantic military relationship. It explains the love languages, and additionally places them in the military context. How do you fill your beloved's need for physical touch when you're thousands of miles apart for months at a time? This book has practical suggestions! That was one of my favorite things. I HIGHLY recommend this for anyone in a military relationship, wondering how to keep it healthy even when distance invades. I don't think I'd say this book rocked my world, or vastly changed how I interact with my man - but it is certainly helpful and a must-read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 5 Love Languages Military Edition.

March 8, 2018 – Started Reading