Leah's Reviews > Redemption in Indigo

Redemption in Indigo by Karen Lord

bookshelves: into-the-forest-2018, favorites

" Tales are meant to be an inspiration, not a substitute. "

A full-length fairy tale inspired by African - Caribbean myths, specifically the Senegalese folktale, "Ansige Karamba the Glutton." Redemption in Indigo swept me off my feet yet I felt totally grounded each time I read its words. I loved every minute and the pages flew by! The narrator's voice is at times snarky which cracked me up, and I loved the POV. It really felt like I was sitting beside the narrator while they told the story and the events unfolded before my eyes. I look forward to reading this again -- probably next summer.

4 stars

"Leaner days, too, if truth be told, but Kwame had always found liberty more satisfying than comfort."

"Don't be startled at the galloping logic in the last thought. The will is usually in a hurry to get to the point of justification."

"Thus several names had come to be attached to these immortal beings as they wrought both mystery and mischief through all countries, cultures, and centuries of humanity. Since the story is about Paama, we will user her country's name for them--the djombi."

"I have mentioned previously the three different categories of undying ones. Never assume that these categories represent boundaries that are never crossed or lines that cannot be redrawn. It is not the known danger that we most fear, the shark that patrols the bay, the lion that rules the savannah. It is the betrayal of what we trust and hold close to our hearts that is our undoing: the captain who staves in the boat, the king who sells his subjects into slavery, the child who murders the parent."

"So, trust him not, but do not believe that all his actions are intended for the ruin of those affected, human or djombi. I, too, shall have to wait until the tale is fully told before I can be sure which way he will turn." (speaking on The Trickster)

"'Some humans find it so. There will be no death, I promise you, but there will be severe embarrassment, which is but a small death of the ego.'"

"'I find that sometimes if you just sit still, things have a way of finding you before you can find them.'"

"'If you don't mind yourself,' she began again deliberately, 'if you don't learn to control yourself, the baccou will steal your skin and behave so badly that even you will be ashamed of yourself.'"

"...'You must never tell people their own stories. They have no interest in them, or they think they can tell them better themselves. Give them a stranger's life, and then they're content.'"

"For others the tale is a way of living vicariously, enjoying the adventures of others without having to go one step beyond their sphere of comfort. To them I say: what's stopping you from getting on a ship and sailing halfway around the world? Tales are meant to be an inspiration, not a substitute."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Redemption in Indigo.

March 5, 2018 – Started Reading