Matthew Davenport's Reviews > I Am Providence

I Am Providence by Nick Mamatas

I went into this book pretty excited. The premise sounded like a lot of fun, and I liked Mamatas' The Damned Highway. Unfortunately, this was a 3 star book for various reasons that only managed to get its fourth star from me because I did find myself regularly compelled to continue turning the page just for the murder mystery plot.
Unlike other reviewers, I mostly enjoyed the protagonist, Colleen Danzig. The parts that bothered me revolved around the victim's point of view. Originally, those chapters were very entertaining and promised a very Lovecraftian answers. I felt that the story never delivered on those answers.
Once again, the murder mystery plot was very good, and felt like an homage to Poirot or Sherlock.
What Mamatas did, and what I think makes me uncomfortable enough to lose enjoyment during this novel, was write a novel aimed at the very specific audience of the Lovecraft crowd, and then use that sniper focus to shine a jaded mirror on that very same crowd, all while stating very plainly in that reflection that they are all whiney and opinionated enough that if they complained there would be no validity to their man-baby cries. My question is why someone would pick a target audience to write to and then insult it.
The answer, that I suspect, was that Mamatas was going for realism, but from the point of view of a fan who was tired of his fandom's more negative people. If you're a fan of Ghostbusters, Star Wars, or just about any series that's been rebooted or sequeled in the last few years, than you've probably experienced similar feelings. You want to enjoy the medium, but when you go online, have a conversation with someone, go onto a Facebook group, or actually go to a CON than you'll run into so many people that are adamantly argumentative about things you thought were just fun.
You can see this also in Mamatas' mention of the Indie Author crowd. He brings up how getting found doesn't mean anything other than a few more bucks and maybe a movie deal that won't ever happen. How everyone with a pen makes an anthology or a publishing house. He complains from the perspective of someone who's tired of hearing everyone else complain.
And he gets kind of mean about it.
I get it, there are a ton of stereotypes regarding the fans of Lovecraft, and honestly, I've never attended more than one convention-styled event, in a guy's basement, filled with some of the stereotypes described in his book. The problem was that this book comes across as an angry "letter to the editor" about the fandom, his dislike of the conventions, and the people that he's been stuck at his author booths talking to. As if he wrote this on a grumpier day in his career.
The last page of the book, the Acknowledgements, even states "First I must thank Jeremy Lassen, whose desire for one more Mythos novel from me inspired this book. He will never ask again, clearly." And then he ends it with "As it turns out, writing a novel is a lonely business."
Wow, that's just bleak as Hell.
But the plot for the murder mystery was great. There's a great story in this book and for that alone I think this novel deserved praise. Mamatas obviously wanted to put forth a good story.
It's just unfortunate that his good story got mired in his hate letter to his fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Providence.

March 8, 2018 – Started Reading
March 8, 2018 – Shelved
March 13, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by C.T. (new) - rated it 1 star

C.T. Phipps Your opinion is significantly more forgiving than my own.

[Name Redacted] I have run afoul of so much rubbish meta-Lovecraft deconstructionism. I want to believe this one's good!

message 3: by C.T. (new) - rated it 1 star

C.T. Phipps [Name Redacted] wrote: "I have run afoul of so much rubbish meta-Lovecraft deconstructionism. I want to believe this one's good!"

It's basically a Lovecraft novel if the assumption is all but two Lovecraft fans are members of the Alt-Right. I just wrote my own review a few minutes ago.

[Name Redacted] ...Oh.