Melissa's Reviews > Limelight

Limelight by Amy Poeppel

Limelight was recommended to me by Andrea Peskind Katz from Great Thoughts. She really knows what I'll enjoy reading because she totally nailed it with this book! It has become one of my 2018 favorites.

I could definitely relate to Allison, as I moved from the Midwest to the east coast about 11 years ago. The experience was overwhelming at first and it took a lot of adjusting. While my family and I didn't move to NYC, we lived pretty close for a couple of years before relocating once again (with a much easier adjustment the second time around). Once I didn't live as close to NYC, I liked it so much more. I recently went there with my kids to see a Broadway musical and reading Limelight shortly after that trip brought back all the feelings of being in the city.

Amy Poeppel first had me at the part where Allison's eight year-old son draws an anatomically correct version of himself at school. I couldn't get enough of the story from that point on, whether it was about Allison getting adjusted to city life and new routines, her kids' many moods and quirks, and, of course, working for Carter Reid. Carter's teenage "tantrums" could be made into a movie montage, as he had so many. There were a lot of funny moments and lines where I was thinking "I can't believe they said that!" There were also some poignant moments where I really felt invested in the outcome for both Carter and Allison.

I had no idea which direction this story would go in, so I was constantly surprised and entertained. I loved the Broadway aspect, as well as the celebrity name dropping. Any musical theater fan needs to read this novel! Just a fair warning that there are spoilers for the movie Limelight, of which the musical is based.

I couldn't get enough of this novel and I'm sad that it's over. I wanted to live in it for one more day and was jealous of Allison at times. Perhaps there will be a sequel? (She'll be back...time will tell.)

In case Hollywood (or Broadway) comes calling:
Sara: Rachel Weisz
Annabella: Bella Thorne
Megan: Oona Laurence
Owen: Martin Freeman

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Limelight.

March 8, 2018 – Started Reading
March 16, 2018 –
March 19, 2018 –
March 20, 2018 –
March 21, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Lloyd (new) - added it

Lloyd Russell Not only a 5/5, but also one of your favorites of the year? I just ordered Paris and Shipman from Recycle. Since I get a discount, she's going to murder me if I order another one the next day. I better hold off for a bit.

Melissa LOL! Hope you get a chance to read it soon. It's not available until May anyway.

message 3: by Lloyd (new) - added it

Lloyd Russell A reprieve!

Melissa Lloyd wrote: "A reprieve!"

:) It's worth the wait.

Rochelle Weinstein Andrea recommended to me, too. this is a top 2018 read for me as well. loved it! great review.

Melissa Glad to hear it!