Eric Mesa's Reviews > The Hero of Ages

The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

bookshelves: 2018-sword-challenge

I cannot believe how well Sanderson made this entire trilogy fit together. Each book was amazingly plotted and, as a whole, the trilogy is so well put together. No part of the trilogy was wasted and each detail Sanderson provided was vital to the story as a whole. Some of the key plot points for this book went all the way back to the first chapters of the first book. The ending to this book would have had me flipping tables over and yelling from how well it all worked if everyone hadn't been asleep in the house.

If I had one criticism, it would be that, due to what the plot needed, there was a lot of sitting around and our protagonists spent nearly the entire book separated. Again, it's what this book needed to work so well, but in the moment it sometimes left me wondering when things were going to get going.

Still, all that sedentary time made it all that more dramatic when the snowball began to roll along the hill.

There's so much more I could say here, but this trilogy fits together so well that I don't want to give anything away. I'll merely note that Elend's character growth from book 1 to book 3 should be required study as part of either high school or college political science classes as an example of the differences between an idea ruler and the practicalities of rule. Also, what we learn of another ancient society here is fascinating in terms of being bound by rules and what that means in a crisis.

I have enjoyed all of Sanderson's Cosmere work thus far, but I think he has really made me love Scadrial and I can't wait to return to Misborn Era 2. For now, however, I'm following the recommended reading order at http://i.imgur.com/tnGVDoB.png and going onto the Stormlight Archive (at least after a quick pit stop at 2 of the Mistborn RPG manuals to read the short stories within). 1
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hero of Ages.

March 8, 2018 – Started Reading
March 8, 2018 – Shelved
March 8, 2018 –
3.0% "So many things going on!"
March 9, 2018 –
6.0% "As usual, really enjoying the chapter introductions and the history it passes on."
March 9, 2018 –
8.0% "Learning about the caches and more metal writing"
March 12, 2018 –
13.0% ""It seemed odd to her that the weapon that had killed Kelsier would become the symbol of his followers."

I think one thing I'm going to enjoy is seeing how the Church of the Survivor mutates in Era 2 (assuming it survives). Will it have schismed?"
March 12, 2018 –
16.0% "So many moving pieces. I know I'll miss these characters when the trilogy is over, but I'm so impatient to see what happens. The only spoiler I have is that since there's a Mistborn Era 2, I know Scadrial isn't completely destroyed."
March 13, 2018 –
19.0% "Vin continues to learn. Spook upgrades. I have a feeling things may begin spiraling soon."
March 13, 2018 –
21.0% "Tyrants always hide behind proletariat causes"
March 14, 2018 –
26.0% "I like this new, studious Vin. Also, the mysterious appearance of someone with Spook - can't wait to see that explained."
March 14, 2018 –
28.0% "Finally at Fadrex"
March 15, 2018 –
31.0% "The informant was neat. Wonder if Spook is like Zane now."
March 15, 2018 –
34.0% "Party invitation and a meeting with The Citizen"
March 16, 2018 –
39.0% "Breakthroughs for Sazed, Vin, and Elend."
March 19, 2018 –
43.0% "How will things go? So many things building up!"
March 19, 2018 –
45.0% "WHOA! THE SECRET OF THE KOLOSS IS CRAZY!"
March 20, 2018 –
47.0% "We not understand (or think we understand) how Inquisitors, Kandra, and Koloss are made and the link between them. Story-wise Sanderson keeps ratcheting up the tension without release. It's driving me bananas."
March 20, 2018 –
51.0% "I think we may soon start sliding along the climax"
March 22, 2018 –
55.0% "Reen reveal almost made me flip over my desk. Sanderson! You are too good at this!"
March 23, 2018 –
60.0% "A few gambles"
March 23, 2018 –
62.0% "Finally TenSoon is in the plot"
March 26, 2018 –
66.0% ""The world was dying. Its gods had to die with it.""
March 26, 2018 –
70.0% "Everything's finally coming to a head! Also, yay, Spook!"
March 27, 2018 –
74.0% "OHMANOHMANOHMANOHMANOHMANOHMANOHMANOHMANOHMANOHMAN"
March 27, 2018 –
78.0% "What a rush of information, emotions, and action!"
March 28, 2018 –
81.0% "Sazed makes progress"
March 28, 2018 –
83.0% "Although I'd guessed what the significance of atium was chapters ago, we finally learn a lot that was mysterious in the last two books"
March 29, 2018 –
88.0% "WOW. Sanderson is really pulling it all together."
March 29, 2018 –
92.0% ""Welcome....to godhood""
March 30, 2018 –
96.0% "That final chapter was amazing and beautiful! Epilogue left"
March 31, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-sword-challenge
March 31, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Dara Great review! I love this series a ton when I read it but am wary to revisit it.

Eric Mesa I understand not wanting to ruin the nostalgia. It might be worth asking on the Cosmere subreddit what they think of rereading Mistborn Era 1. It's generally a very nice and polite section of Reddit.

Hilton I almost loved it better reading it again. So many little details that you pick up on with the full perspective.