James's Reviews > Then She Was Gone

Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell

bookshelves: 1-fiction, 7-netgalley, 9-read-2018-04-april

I read a Lisa Jewell novel last year and connected immediately with her writing style, tone, and voice. When Then She Was Gone showed up on NetGalley last month, I immediately requested it and added it to my reading queue for April. I really find myself enamored with Jewell's characters, plots, and settings, so much that I've added ten of her other books to my TBR and hope to read a few more later this year.

Domestic drama is the best sub-genre to describe this book. A 15-year-old girl goes missing, resulting in her family falling apart. Ten years later, her mother finds new love (divorced her ex-husband though they still remain friends) and slowly learns of connections to her missing child who was feared dead. The description in the Goodreads or Amazon summary says it all, so I don't need to add to it here. The book alternates between "Then" and "Now" to tell the story of what happened to Ellie, who kidnapped and hurt her, what the new love interest for Ellie's mother, Laurel, has to say transpired over all the years, and where things really fell apart.

This book read itself. I intended to spend 90 minutes reading on a weekend afternoon to have a relaxing break from some outside chores. Three (3) hours later, I'd finished it. The book was so good that I lost track of time and read so quickly, everything just disappeared, but I was absolutely connected and attached to every part of the story and characters. Jewell clearly knows how to lead readers on a path where investment is deep and shock is wide. I'm sure a few readers will sideways glance at a couple of plot twists, and I can understand it. You have to suspend a tiny bit of your disbelief or questions as to how the kidnapping was truly pulled off. But it's fiction and it's part of a story and that's why it worked -- the writing supports it and carries you off into a world you cannot leave.

I normally figure out what's really going on. But Jewell uses some clever disguises regarding timing that make it complicated, and when you do figure it out about 2/3 of the way thru, you have to stop for a few minutes and think about all the repercussions, Then, it all adds up. How did I miss it??? But for me, that's what makes an incredibly gifted writer. One who transports you into the story that you forget to try to solve it because you're just so stunned by its beauty. I can't wait to pick up another Jewell book this summer. So many to choose from! But this one gets at least 4.5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Then She Was Gone.

March 8, 2018 – Shelved
March 8, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
March 8, 2018 – Shelved as: 1-fiction
April 9, 2018 – Shelved as: 7-netgalley
April 11, 2018 – Started Reading
April 14, 2018 – Shelved as: 9-read-2018-04-april
April 14, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)

Holly  B Agree 100% Looking forward to your review James!

James Holly wrote: "Agree 100% Looking forward to your review James!" I went a little shorter on the review this time, but it was such a fantastic book!

message 3: by jendlo (last edited Apr 16, 2018 10:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

jendlo One of my favorite authors, as of late. (Wasn't a fan of her early books, but since she shifted from giving Helen Fielding a run for it to becoming the British Liane Moriarty as I refer to her, I am!)

James I was curious if she always wrote like this. Good to know. So stick to later ones!

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Booth Great review!

James Thanks!

Diane S ☔ Terrific review, James. Just finished this one myself, four stars from me as well.

James I’m glad we are in agreement. I loved the way she told the story.

message 9: by sue (new) - added it

sue Loved it!
Great review

James Thanks, Sue.

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Fantastic review, James! I have this one on deck, amongst others, and your review makes me want to bump it up. It’s awesome to find an author whose work you love!

James I agree. I’m so excited. Can’t wait to see what you think of it.

Dorie  - Traveling Sister :) Great review, this is how you do a psychological thriller :)

James Dorie, thanks. Yes, you’ve said it perfectly!

debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister Looks good! I see Hoopla app has it on audio and I am going to add it. Glad you enjoyed it!

James Enchantress debbicat ☮ wrote: "Looks good! I see Hoopla app has it on audio and I am going to add it. Glad you enjoyed it!" oh cool, glad it worked out!

Dorie  - Traveling Sister :) Enchantress debbicat ☮ wrote: "Looks good! I see Hoopla app has it on audio and I am going to add it. Glad you enjoyed it!"

Sorry to interrupt the thread but is Hoopla an app that you have to pay for the audiobooks?

James Dorie wrote: "Enchantress debbicat ☮ wrote: "Looks good! I see Hoopla app has it on audio and I am going to add it. Glad you enjoyed it!"

Sorry to interrupt the thread but is Hoopla an app that you have to pay ..."

No worries! I'm not sure... Debbicat will have to answer!

debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister No it’s not Dorie. It’s a library app. I’ve been listening today and it’s very good. Great narrator. Loving this book. :)

Chris Great review James! I just finished the book and loved it. More Lisa Jewell please.

James Yes, I agree!! She must have a new one again soon.

Chris There actually is a book on Amazon called
Get Pregnant For Free on the Internet With a Private Sperm Donor Without Having Sex or Paying $$$ to a Sperm Bank. Can’t believe banked sperm is being used for criminal purposes as in this book. Crazy!

James Now that must be an interesting book to read! Lol

Kathleen Terrific review, James. Sounds like a book one should read.

James It was pretty strong on plot. I enjoyed it.