C.G. Drews's Reviews > Salt

Salt by Hannah Moskowitz

bookshelves: 4-star, magical-fantasy, read-2018, young-adult, ya-male-narrators

This was an absolutely precious book about siblings and sea monsters! And I have EMOTIONS. I honestly love sibling books above all else, and tie it up with monsters?! It's like Supernatural, but with adorable little kids and beautiful writing and quiet sadness and boats. 😍And I'd only read Teeth by this author before this so !!! I love all her words !!

+ Basically these 4 siblings are sea monster hunters after their parents go missing.
And they're also lowkey (a) trying to find their parents, and (b) playing to slay the monster that might be the blame. Indi is the 2nd oldest (16?? I think) and he totally thinks they're orphans. But his older sister Beleza is viciously holding out hope to find them. And they're like on this tiny dingy horrible little boat, LOADED UP WITH WEAPONS, and they're off to cut off monsters heads. An indestructible foursome omg.

+ I just love love love all 4 of the siblings.
It's such a small book but they all INSTANTLY became alive and they were each so dynamic and complex and stooole my heart.
Beleza: She is SO STABBY. She will shoot all the monsters in the eye with her crossbow and she is like the protective mother bear you won't ever cross.
Indi: he is so soft™ and omg I love soft boys like nothing else. He's basically the mum-sibling and patches everyone up and also haaates killing monsters. He's aware he's seriously codependent on his siblings though and he hates it but he can't stop.
Oscar: He's 12 and the utter Slytherin. Like he totally steals and schemes and he's pretty aggressive but also adorable.
Zulu: SHE IS SO CUTE. She's 6 and heckkk she is the one who cuts up the monsters for meat afterwards (who the frick gave the 6 year old a knife) and she's hyper and adorable and thoroughly annoying and reminds me of alllll my siblings. Well done.

+ I just loved their bond omg.
And it was MESSY and they often hated each other, but they love each other so bad. I think they're also biracial and they spoke a lot of languages and really had no home except for their boat. (I did think it was weird they didn't speak English though??? Like they spoke bits of 4+ other languages but English is the most universal so um??? ok???)

+ My only disappointment is that: it could've been fleshed out more.
It's very VERY short, which is fine because I love short books, but there were so many scenes that just zoomed past so fast?? I would've liked to go into more depth. Have description?? We stopped by a ton of cool countries but like 3% description had me not "seeing" it at all. And the ending was so fast it nearly felt anticlimactic (not QUITE, but nearly). Plus, ngl, I just wanted more time with these four before it finished.

SO THIS WAS GOOD AND STOLE MY HEART. It was such a fantastic mixture of knives and teeth and salt and blood + contrasted with a protagonist with the softest heart and the confusing of wanting but feeling unwanted and needing but not knowing what you need. It is sWEET AND MURDEROUS and I just love that combination ahhhh.

Sometimes I would trade all of the little nothing I have just to know what it is I really want.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Salt.

March 8, 2018 – Shelved
March 8, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
May 16, 2018 – Started Reading
May 16, 2018 –
36.0% "this has an adorable stabby family of sea-monster-hunters and Indi takes care of his little siblings and I just !! this is my weakness !! family stories !!"
May 16, 2018 – Shelved as: 4-star
May 16, 2018 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy
May 16, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
May 16, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
May 16, 2018 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators
May 16, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Mahnoor ⚯͛ The first line alone of this review had me like okay umm... I am definitely buying this book with a somewhat artsy/interesting cover. Glad you enjoyed reading it.💛

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy Lou I love this, I adore this, I WANT this. YES.

message 3: by ☆ Todd (new)

☆ Todd Sounds good. Is there any romance element at all, like in Teeth? Just curious. : )

C.G. Drews @Todd: Yes there's romance!

message 5: by ☆ Todd (new)

☆ Todd C.G. wrote: "@Todd: Yes there's romance!"

Oh, unexpected AND schweet! : )

Thanks!