Carrie's Reviews > The Forgotten Ones

The Forgotten Ones by Steena Holmes

bookshelves: netgalley

The Forgotten Ones by Steena Holmes is a compelling contemporary story with a touch of mystery to it. The book is mainly told from the point of view of two of the characters Elle and David. There are also flashes back into the past that are done by the stories that David tells of those days.

The only family that Elle had ever known was her mother who is struggling with her mental health. With the help of a caregiver Elle has been able to go to school and get a job working at the hospital which happens to be the same hospital that the elderly David lies while waiting for his disease to take him.

David’s nurse has helped him write letters to his daughter and granddaughter in hopes that the poor man will not have to die alone. When Elle receives the letter from David she’s quite taken aback finding that her grandfather has been alive her whole life but yet she’s never known. Wanting to find out more about her family Elle decides to visit David when he requests to tell her the story in which Elle hopes to find the answers she’s always wanted.

The Forgotten Ones is a story for those that just love peeling back the layers to a family drama and searching for the answers while sorting through the secrets and lies. With wonderful writing and a completely engaging story I found this one incredibly hard to put down as I waited to find the answers to the mystery of the past that David slowly unveiled. The only reason I marked this down to 4.5 stars was I had a sneaking suspicion about a certain detail but overall this was a wonderful story that I think readers will be sure to be captivated by.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley.

For more reviews please visit https://carriesbookreviews.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgotten Ones.

March 7, 2018 – Shelved
March 7, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
March 7, 2018 – Shelved as: netgalley
March 25, 2018 – Started Reading
March 27, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

message 1: by Kendall (new) - added it

Kendall Lovely review Carrie!!! So glad you loved this too. This was my first read by this author but definitely not my last :).

Mackenzie - PhDiva Books Wonderful review, Carrie!!!

message 3: by Ari (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ari Great review Carrie! This really does sound like a fantastic premise❤️

Carrie Kendall wrote: "Lovely review Carrie!!! So glad you loved this too. This was my first read by this author but definitely not my last :)."

Thanks Kendall! I've actually read a couple of her romance reads which were good but I think this one was even better. I'll definitely be interested in checking out more from her too. :)

Carrie Mackenzie wrote: "Wonderful review, Carrie!!!"

Thanks Mackenzie! :)

Carrie Aɤɩ wrote: "Great review Carrie! This really does sound like a fantastic premise❤️"

Thank you Ari, it was definitely a good one! :)

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Lovely review!

Carrie Rachel wrote: "Lovely review!"

Thank you Rachel! :)

Jenn I think i have the same sneaking idea about the same detail, but apparently it wasn't true?

Carrie Literarycat wrote: "I think i have the same sneaking idea about the same detail, but apparently it wasn't true?"

What I was referring to is at the end so I hate to say something to ruin it for someone else but it involves her mother's childhood.

message 11: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Great Review, Carrie! I look forward to reading this. your review has me moving this up on my to-read pile!

(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas I must make time for this one! Every time I see it - it calls to me to be read. I need to listen to my instinct. Fab review Carrie.

Carrie Debra wrote: "Great Review, Carrie! I look forward to reading this. your review has me moving this up on my to-read pile!"

Thanks Debra, hope you enjoy it too. :)

Carrie (Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas wrote: "I must make time for this one! Every time I see it - it calls to me to be read. I need to listen to my instinct. Fab review Carrie."

Haha hope you like it if you get the chance to read it Bern. :)