Tim Casteel's Reviews > 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos

12 Rules for Life by Jordan B. Peterson

Most thought provoking book I've read in a long time.

In 12 Rules, Peterson is essentially asking -“How can one live the good life?”

Jordan Peterson gets so much right. SO much. In his words:
* We all fall short of the glory of God
* We have missed the mark because of original sin
* And the goal is to get back to walking with God
What do we do with our falling short?
Dr. Peterson’s answer is by “growing the hell up.”
He is unable to see grace.
[Disclaimer - I am a Christian pastor]

The entire book is rules. Or put another way - a ruler. A measuring stick. Ideals we should reach for. And Peterson asserts that reaching for those ideals gives life meaning.
"willingness to take on that responsibility is identical to the decision to live a meaningful life.”

Dr. Peterson makes the case: There are rules - whether you live by them or not. Whether you acknowledge them or not. There are rules.

Yet he himself believes that we fall short. And what then?

The foreword by Dr. Norman Doidge, MD, ends on this intriguing note:
"Perhaps, as unfamiliar and strange as it sounds, in the deepest part of our psyche, we all want to be judged."

Reading Jordan Peterson is like reading the Bible's Proverbs: profound wisdom for life. Tim Keller’s assertion that the wise life "Proverbs calls for can be fully realized only through faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ” is equally true for Peterson. The wise life Peterson calls for can be fully realized only through the gospel of grace.

I highly recommend listening to the audiobook because it is narrated by the author and it gives what could sometimes be dry psycho-babble, passion and life. Liked the book so much I bought the Kindle so I could highlight and chew on different parts of the book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 12 Rules for Life.

March 7, 2018 – Started Reading
March 7, 2018 – Shelved
March 21, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

John Majors nice review. I've had this on my to-read list for a while. Need to bump it up!