Alex Murphy's Reviews > The Schwa Was Here

The Schwa Was Here by Neal Shusterman

May 29, 2008

Recommended to Alex by: my middle school librarian
Recommended for: anyone

The Schwa was Here was my first book by Neal Shusterman that I read. The librarian at my school recommended it to me, and although I don't usually read recommended books because my list is so long anyways, I was so entertained by the title of chapter one ("Manny Bullpucky Gets His Sorry Butt Hurled Off the Marine Park Bridge") that I stopped what I was doing to investigate further.

The title to chapter one is as dull as this book gets. The narration by Antsy has a lot of character and the whole concept of Calvin Schaw is fascinating. But the big thing that sold me on this book is that it's not about a kid who people seem to miss; it's about the details of a relationship between two friends as they live an unlikely life. It's about how they exist, what they do, and why they do it. It's about how they grow and learn and live. From the initial fun of showing off and living it up to the stresses and hardships of crushing on the same girl to feeling invisible. The story is real and rich and ultimately very satisfying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Schwa Was Here.

message 1: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly Aley You really ought to give Schusterman's other works a try. I loved Unwind and his Everlost series was also really interesting.

Alex Murphy Kelly wrote: "You really ought to give Schusterman's other works a try. I loved Unwind and his Everlost series was also really interesting."

He's one of a favorite authors. Always wonderful ideas, always fast reads, always cheap to buy. :)