Rebecca's Reviews > The Librarian

The Librarian by Salley Vickers

it was ok
bookshelves: historical-fiction, libraries, newbury-library, signed-copy, unfinished, twee

I read the first 48 pages out of 385. The vintage cover design is adorable, and probably drew me in against my better judgment. An idealistic young woman takes up the post of Children’s Librarian in a small town populated by good-hearted busybodies and urchins. On the twee side of pleasant. Promises to be a predictable love story. An excuse for the author to list off her favorite books from childhood? (Read Lucy Mangan’s Bookworm instead!) There’s the odd jarring line that doesn’t at all match the tone of the rest, e.g. dogs “masturbating frenziedly against Sylvia’s shins.” I’m not sure I’d try anything else by Vickers without a firm recommendation from a trusted reading friend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Librarian.

March 7, 2018 – Shelved
March 7, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
March 7, 2018 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
March 7, 2018 – Shelved as: libraries
August 10, 2018 – Shelved as: newbury-library
August 12, 2018 – Shelved as: signed-copy
August 13, 2018 – Shelved as: unfinished
August 20, 2018 – Shelved as: twee

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Nigel (new)

Nigel I do find her books mixed but some I have really enjoyed

Rebecca Nigel wrote: "I do find her books mixed but some I have really enjoyed"

What's a better one to start with?

message 3: by Nigel (new)

Nigel Rebecca wrote: "Nigel wrote: "I do find her books mixed but some I have really enjoyed"

What's a better one to start with?"

Well... I liked Mr Golightly's holiday but looking at the reviews on here others preferred Cousins which didn't work for me. I hate recommending books :)

SueLucie I like your review and it reflects my experience of this book. I was a big fan of Miss Garnet's Angel, have read practically everything she's written since but nothing has matched up to that first one.

Beth Bonini I did finish it, and it was slightly redeemed by an interesting (and unexpected) ending, but I agree with your review. I would have preferred twee to the unexpectedly sour notes.