David's Reviews > Chasing the Dragon

Chasing the Dragon by Nicholas Kaufmann

Nov 06, 2011

bookshelves: ebook, dragons, fantasy, fantasy-contemporary, fantasy-dark, female-protagonist, novella, horror, zombies, american-southwest, violent-and-gory, drugs-are-bad, urban-fantasy
Recommended to David by: Stephen
Recommended for: dragonslaying heroin addicts
Read on November 07, 2011

This was a high-octane thriller well worth the quick read. A kick-ass heroine in the urban fantasy mold is the Chosen One destined to hunt dragons, or more precisely, one dragon, as she is the latest in a long line of dragonslayers. But our heroine has a few problems. PTSD. Heroin addiction. Homelessness. Basically, she's a mess.

This novella works fine at the length it is at; a full-length novel would have dragged on too long (though I was a little disappointed at the full-length-novel price for a very short ebook, but I won't hold that against the author). It's lots of fun, full of violent action and blood and mayhem, and a real page-turner with a few twists at the end.

Chasing the Dragon wasn't able to earn 5 stars from me because the action scenes began to take on an unrealistic video-game quality, and there were a couple of great big plot holes at the end, but the story was entertaining enough for me to give it a solid 4 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasing the Dragon.