Love Bytes Reviews's Reviews > Swann's Revenge

Swann's Revenge by Shira Anthony

31939651

liked it

Reviewed by Kimberly

This is book #51 in this franchise and it was okay. It wasn’t poorly written at all; quite the opposite in fact. The characters and dialog were nicely done so no problems there. It was just…this is an old trope has been done quite a few times and it leaves you wondering if maybe it’s been done too much?

I can definitely see where the author tried to put a fresh spin on it that would make it stand out but I think this is one trope where that is simply not possible. This book makes me wonder if maybe the authors are given a particular formula to follow or trope to write? If that’s the case, I think that perhaps Dreamspinner should really not do that because the stories feel stifled, like maybe the natural creativity the author has to be reined in or scaled back as to not stray too far away from the formula or trope given. And that’s a pity because I feel like there could’ve been so much more done to make this really stand out. The ‘ugly duckling turn into a beautiful swan’ trope really needed something to give it a little boost because there’s only so much you can do with it as is.

The author did a nice job with the characters and the dialogue but there’s there’s not enough range that this particular trope could be written, though. And that’s not the fault of the author.

With that in mind, I would say that this book is okay. It was nice. Just not terribly exciting to read and I feel like that it’s not the author’s fault.

This book was provided for free in exchange for a fair and honest review for Love Bytes. Go there to check out other reviews, author interviews, and all those awesome giveaways. Click below.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swann's Revenge.

Finished Reading