Roxie Radish's Reviews > Bulletins from Dallas: Reporting the JFK Assassination

Bulletins from Dallas by Bill   Sanderson

I read this as a book club pick and while I would t have picked it on my own I’ll be forever glad I read it. What I thought was going to be a retelling of JFKs assassination was so much more. It is the story of Merriman “Smitty” Smith, his life and career as a White House journalist. This book paints a beautiful picture of a time when print journalism was the top way to get your news and touches on the media coverage of presidents from FDR to Nixon. About 1/3 of the book tells the story of the actual assassination and how the news was able to spread quickly to radio and tv sources because of Smitty’s work and the prestige it won him in his field. It also discusses the tragedies in his life and the great impact of witnessing such a historic and horrific moment first hand had on the rest of his life. Bill Sanderson really captured a compelling story of a specific period so foreign from today’s constant, instant media coverage that is worth a good hard look.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bulletins from Dallas.

March 1, 2018 – Started Reading