Mizumi's Reviews > The Tough Guide to Fantasy Land

The Tough Guide to Fantasy Land by Diana Wynne Jones

Nov 06, 2011

bookshelves: books-i-own

This was absolutely lovely! It's pretty tongue-in-the-cheek about commonly used patterns found in fantasy (I personally found myself comparing it to TV tropes, only without specific mentions of certain novels). Some terms actually got me thinking: yes, they tend to use leather and cotton in fantasy lands, but where exactly do these come from as we never see cotton fields or herds of cows?
The book is written as though you are on a Tour through Fantasyland yourself, filled with helpful entries on things you will encounter (you can't avoid becoming a slave at some point) and things you should avoid (oh, and armours are cheating).
Overall, I think this is a lovely little book to read from A to Z, or just to look things up in once in a while after you've read about a Tour through a certain Fantasyland to see how things match up. Or y'know, just a nice book to open and read a few entries of whenever you're bored.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tough Guide to Fantasy Land.

November 6, 2011 – Started Reading
November 6, 2011 – Shelved
November 6, 2011 – Shelved as: books-i-own
November 6, 2011 –
page 56
23.05% "Gosh, this is wonderful in all of its subtle snarkiness. I know this is probably more like a reference book than something you should read start to finish, but I'm still gonna read it like I would read a normal book - don't want to miss a thing. It's also such a nice little book to hold!"
November 10, 2011 –