Sonia's Reviews > Red-Headed Stepchild

Red-Headed Stepchild by Jaye Wells

Nov 06, 2011

Great new urban fantasy! Well, new for me anyway :-)

Sabina Kane is a mixed-blood - half vampire, half mage. Raised by her grandmother, the powerful leader of the Dominae, the leading council of the vampires, she became an assassin for the council, always seeking approval from her grandmother. Now she was sent on an undercover mission to kill one of the Dominae´s enemies. But what she discovers makes her rethink her loyalties to her own race and to the woman who raised her.

Through the mysterious and sexy mage Adam, Sabina discovers her origins, her own latent powers, as well as the world of the other races - demons, fairies, mages - who she was raised to consider her enemies.

In the beginning I wasn´t sure if I am going to like a heroine who kills one of her friends just because she is told to do so. But I have seen her develop, fight herself and everything she believed in, make mistakes and pay for them. Her relationship with Adam was not resolved in the end, nor were all the questions answered and I liked that. One of my favorite characters was the Mischief demon Giguhl who was originally sent to kill Sabina but became her familiar instead. He was funny and with his shopping addiction he reminded me of Simi from Sherrilyn Kenyon´s Dark Hunters :-)

I will definitely read the rest of this series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red-Headed Stepchild.