Silver James's Reviews > Lake Silence

Lake Silence by Anne Bishop

bookshelves: audio-books, auto-buy-series, fantasy, keeper, paranormal, 2018-books-read, 2019-books-read, reread, romantic-fiction, 2020-books-read, urban-fantasy, 2021-books-read, alternative-history, favorite-authors
Read 4 times. Last read January 19, 2021 to January 20, 2021.

Lake Silence (The Others, #6) by Anne Bishop 2021: I listened to this book "out of order" intentionally this time. In my brain, ETCHED IN BONE should immediately be followed by WILD COUNTRY. That title is emotionally tough and events run concurrently with EIB. LAKE SILENCE is a relief to listen to, in a way. Oh, the bad humans are bad and the Terra Indegenes exact their justice, but Miss Vicky is a captivating character most can relate to and she funny. This book has a lighter feel and ends on such a hopeful note. I still want more books in the world of The Others though I'm not holding my breath.

2020: I don't have much--if anything--to add to my previous comments. I would like to know what happens to Grimshaw and some of the other residents of Sproing. Miss Vicki and Julian are settled into their places in the epilogue after a fairly wild ride. I should also mention the Lady in the Lake. I haven't before now. Yeah...not sure I'd go swimming in Lake Silence. Anyway, as mentioned previously, a nice detour to explore a different part of the world.

2019 re-listen: This book is something of an outlier in the world of The Others. That's okay. It's interesting to see what's happening in the rest of Thasia after the Great Predition. Vicki, Julian, and Grimshaw are interesting characters. Ilya and the Others are also worth meeting. This is the one book that a new reader might be able to pick up and not be totally lost. All the others, including the newest release, WILD COUNTRY, are too closely aligned and tied together. Besides, this series is well worth the read. I still enjoyed this detour.

[Original review, 2018] I miss Meg, Simon, Vlad, and all the citizens of the Lakeside Courtyard. That said, I suppose it was time to move on from their story (though I hope Ms. Bishop will return her readers to their corner of Thasia to peek in on them from time to time). Moving along to Lake Silence was an excellent next step. There are new Terra Indigenes to meet. New humans to cheer and boo. New species. And a woman who was beaten down by her previous life take root and blossom in a Terra Indigenes settlement called The Jumble. Miss Vicki is watched closely by the Others as she renovates the run-down lodge and cabins and makes friends with the locals. Julian (former policeman turned bookstore owner and an Intuit) and Ineke (a woman with interesting tattoos who runs the boarding house in Sproing), along with Officers Grimshaw and Osgood, Aggie Crowgard, Ilya Sanguinati, and Aidan (the fire elemental), and a host of other Others all swoop in to protect The Jumble from a group of humans with more arrogance than sense. It was a fun ride and Alexandra Harris does a masterful job with the narration. I'm curious to see where the story goes next year, but seriously, this once a year release sorta sucks for us fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lake Silence.

March 6, 2018 – Started Reading