Kelly (and the Book Boar)'s Reviews > Strange Weather

Strange Weather by Joe Hill

Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Well, it took me nearly the entire 21 day checkout period to finish this audio collection, but I did it and I think listening was the right way for me to go. That’s not a comment I make lightly either since my drive time is so short and my attention span much like someone most are familiar with . . . .

I’ve repeated ad nauseum that short stories aren’t my bag, but the novella on the other hand??? Those could be my bread and butter. Joe Hill gives a great explanation for why the novella works so well in his afterward. You get the benefit of a fully fleshed out story, but nary a paragraph can be wasted if you want to keep the reader invested. The bonus (for me at least) in a collection of novellas is the fair to middling selections are easily dismissed and soon-to-be forgotten while the good ones will stay with you, quite possibly for a lifetime. Hill’s father’s The Body and Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption being a couple of perfect examples.

So without further ado let's talk about the first selection in Strange Weather called “Snapshot:”

This was my first experience listening to an audiobook performed by . . . . .

And now I never want anyone else to ever read to me again. Ever.

I fell in love with Wil Wheaton when I was just a little kid and he made me wish I was a boy coming of age in 1960 . . . .

He’s held a special place in my memories ever since. Fitting that “Snapshot” happens to be one about memory. 5 Stars for Wheaton’s performance, but 3 for the story itself which I thought would have been much more powerful if it had concluded at the end of Part 1 of the audio and the “Phoenician” and his “Solarid” camera being an imagined boogeyman conjured by the mind of a woman suffering from dementia rather than him actually being one. Props to Joe Hill for the Stand By Me soundtrack shout-out, however. That will be the selection that plays me through my workday today for sure.

I automatically assumed “Loaded” would be a miss for me since I prefer to keep my fiction and political opinions as separated as possible, but dagnabbit . . . .

I’m still not interested in discussing gun rights EVER on social media, but talk about a story that kept me hooked from start to finish. Every star. (I do have to say the narrator chose a pretty weak delivery for the main female voice and that sucks because she wasn’t some Mary Sue.)

Which leads us to “Aloft” – a story about a guy who nearly shits his pants before jumping out of an airplane and ends up actually shitting his pants at some point after landing on a cloud . . . .

Sorry. I just can’t. 1 Star.

Last but most certainly not least is “Rain.” Narrated by Red, I had pretty high expectations for this one due to the choice of reader alone . . . . .

(Does anyone else tune in just to see what she’s reading??? That one she’s reading right there is a good’un.)

Anyway, again I’m happy to report this did not disappoint. The narration was great, Honeysuckle was great, and what can I say about the story itself????

4 Stars.

I’m giving 3.5 Stars to the collection in its entirety. It was definitely not a waste of my listening time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strange Weather.

March 6, 2018 – Started Reading
March 19, 2018 – Shelved as: nutters
March 19, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018
March 19, 2018 – Shelved as: shorty-shorts
March 19, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Deanna (new)

Deanna WW has always held a special place in my heart. I just listened to the sample. Lurve that voice. I could listen to him read many many books :D

Kelly (and the Book Boar) He's like going home again. I'm on story two now so no more Wheeeeeeeaton!!!! : (

Bark He is such a great narrator! The other three are pretty good too. I listen to these when I'm cleaning, driving, ignoring reality and when I'm stuck alone at work .

Michael Hicks Wheaton is a fantastic narrator. I finally got to hear his work with his reading Scalzi's The Collapsing Empire. Good lord was that ever a fun listen.

Jeanne25 After listening to The Fireman, NOS4A2 and Rain - all by the same narrator - I feel just the opposite and now automatically decline ANYTHING narrated by her. I agree 100% with you on Snapshot. Loaded was by far my favorite story. And Aloft .... the story wasn't that great but I thought some of his imagery when describing the cloud creations was amazing.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Michael wrote: "Wheaton is a fantastic narrator. I finally got to hear his work with his reading Scalzi's The Collapsing Empire. Good lord was that ever a fun listen."

I plan on diving in to some Wheaton/Scalzi selections this summer when I'm stuck driving my youngest to and from baseball tournaments and have more time to listen.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Jeanne25 wrote: "After listening to The Fireman, NOS4A2 and Rain - all by the same narrator - I feel just the opposite and now automatically decline ANYTHING narrated by her. I agree 100% with you on Snapshot. Load..."

Just the idea of listening to a 700+ book gives me hives LOL. I couldn't get past Aloft giving me a "teenager's wet dream" vibe in order to enjoy any part of it ; )

Michael Hicks Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Michael wrote: "Wheaton is a fantastic narrator. I finally got to hear his work with his reading Scalzi's The Collapsing Empire. Good lord was that ever a fun listen."

I plan on di..."

Have fun! Fair warning, The Collapsing Empire has lots of swearing, depending on the age of your kid and if you don't want them picking up all sorts of colorful language. :D

Alissa Patrick I'm so glad you felt the same as I did with "Aloft". Um. No.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Michael wrote: "Hve fun! Fair warning, The Collapsing Empire has lots of swearing, depending on the age of your kid and if you don't want them picking up all sorts of colorful language. :D
..."

You do know I'm his mother, right? Hahahahahaha! He's heard it all at this point ; )

message 11: by Kelly (and the Book Boar) (last edited Mar 19, 2018 09:39AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Alissa wrote: "I'm so glad you felt the same as I did with "Aloft". Um. No."

Bloody diarrhea!!!!

Oh and humping cloud pillas that look like the girl who doesn't love you.

Michael Hicks Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Michael wrote: "Hve fun! Fair warning, The Collapsing Empire has lots of swearing, depending on the age of your kid and if you don't want them picking up all sorts of colorful language. :D
..."

Y..."

LOL OK, fair point. :)

Jeanne25 Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Oh and humping cloud pillas that look like the girl who doesn't love you."
I have to agree there - but prior to that I found the imagery of the sun setting (or was it rising) and the colors, the descriptions of the furniture, etc. to be good.

message 14: by Jessica's (new)

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Awesome review sweetie :)

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Thank you Jessica!